Help needed for Memorial to Air Station
28 days from now
Did any of you serve at HMS NUTHATCH/RNAS Anthorn?
To provide a Memorial to our Air Station and to honour our veterans, the Anthorn Community Association needs subscriptions/donations to provide a Memorial stone and plaque.
Solway House Airfield betwixt Anthorn and Cardurnock in North-West Cumbria was initiated by the Royal Naval Air Service in early 1918. At the start of WW2 the RAF restarted the grass airfield site as a satellite to RAF Silloth. Some Naval Air Sqadrons commenced lodging here from 1940 and the Fleet Air Arm fully took over the site in 1942. Subsequent to completion of the 3 hardened runways, RNAS Anthorn was commissioned as HMS Nuthatch in 1944. It was primarily the base for No.1 Aircraft Receipt and Despatch Unit, taking aircraft from manufacturers and preparing them for service by fitting role equipment, radios, guns etc. Various Naval Air Squadrons operated from here as well as one of the first helicopter Search and Rescue units.
The Air Station shut down in late 1957, decommissioned and put to “Care and Maintenance” in early 1958, subsequently the MOD/NATO VLF Radio installation commenced in 1961 becoming operational in 1964. Since 2007 the National Physical Laboratory (MSF) Radio time pips have been transmitted from here.
More information can be seen here www.aircrewman.org.uk/anthorn-memorial
To get in touch or to make a donation please email: RNAS_Anthorn@sky.com