{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / New Forum?

New Forum?

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Steve Greenwood 02 May 2012 09:44 8510 views Link  
Steve Greenwood 02 May 2012 09:44
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
New Forum?

I know this has been suggested in the past but, would it not be a good idea to have a dedicated forum just for political debate? What do others think of this?
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Scouse 02 May 2012 10:22
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
The Ayes to the left 20 . The nos to the right 600
Steve Greenwood 02 May 2012 10:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: thomas fleming The Ayes to the left 20 . The nos' to the right 600 A very pithy one liner,Thomas but which side of the divide are you on and why?
Roly01 02 May 2012 10:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Steve Greenwood I know this has been suggested in the past but, would it not be a good idea to have a dedicated forum just for political debate? What do others think of this? No! No! And No again.
Scouse 02 May 2012 10:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Steve once a believer of the left 100%. This lot now in goverment posh boys club.Any other party a waste of time. Labour opposition a damp squid. Your suggestion seems all right to start with but almost will inevidently end up with the usual members of this site  (with immovable motives) just slagging each other off.No debate just political rhetoric.This from someone who's never had a penny off any goverment, paid for his own pension and is not entitled to a penny in benifits and drives an "S" reg. Rover.Liverpool for the FA cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.   Last edited by thomas fleming Last edited by thomas fleming
Geordie 02 May 2012 11:57
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
New Forum?

Would it not also be a good idea to have a dedicated forum just for religious debate aswell Steve?
Cave Adsum 02 May 2012 12:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
new forum

no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.ad infinitum Owen. Every time this has been tried we see a few tempers rise. Let us stick to what we do best, humour, cynicism, the occasional rant, pulling each others legs and generally reminiscing about what it was like when they were needing us, not just feeding us. If anyone does need to talk to a sky pilot, well I may officially be retired, but I am here to help where I can.
Sit Vis Nobiscum. 02 May 2012 13:02
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Been tried before, didnt work as postings on the "non political" forum still had a political content. I agree with Roger. try and find a dividing line between political and non political.
..... 02 May 2012 13:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
[QUOTE]Quoting: Rev. Roger Perry [I]no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.ad infinitum Owen. Every time this has been tried we see a few tempers rise. Let us stick to what we do best, humour, cynicism, the occasional rant, pulling each others legs and generally reminiscing about what it was like when they were needing us, not just feeding us. If anyone does need to talk to a 'sky pilot', well I may officially be retired, but I am here to help where I can. I think Steves idea is that those who wish to argue Politics have their own place and them that dont wish to read simply dont. Ths would stop it infiltrating into other subjects, what is wrong with that?.
The Huntress 02 May 2012 14:11
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Owen Hunter Would it not also be a good idea to have a dedicated forum just for religious debate aswell Steve? You little Tinker, Owen Lad Your new spoon is on its way,
The Huntress 02 May 2012 14:20
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: john daly [I]Quoting: Rev. Roger Perry [I]no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.ad infinitum Owen. Every time this has been tried we see a few tempers rise. Let us stick to what we do best, humour, cynicism, the occasional rant, pulling each others legs and generally reminiscing about what it was like when they were needing us, not just feeding us. If anyone does need to talk to a 'sky pilot', well I may officially be retired, but I am here to help where I can. I think Steves idea is that those who wish to argue Politics have their own place and them that don't wish to read simply don't. Ths would stop it infiltrating into other subjects, what is wrong with that?. [/I] Everything J.D. It has been tried before, see Owens shovel full He knows, you know.. It always dribbles into other threads and it is a killer to the regular posters who dont engage in politics or religion and this is their forum too. The oldies on FR (metaphorically speaking) usually curtail any bear clawing before it gets to far, we have learned from the past. See how I spoil Owens fun? We recognise his fun and enjoy him, but he is the best not so subtle stirrer on FR. bless him.
Mike Pass 02 May 2012 14:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

There you go then, Steve. As you inferred earlier; this has been tried before. It most certainly has and failed, for the reasons given in most of the preceding posts. There are those on site who will interpolate political views into ANY and EVERY topic initiated. They are sad people but like everyone else here who has paid their subs there is nothing to stop them! It will have been noted that self discipline (and I do not mean whipping your own butt with a length of split cane after applying Nutella to the area in question.....sh*t! Ignore that!) is not a factor in FR forums. Regardless of whatever intent was behind Owens mention of religious debate...........that was also attempted within a dedicated forum and fell apart due to lack of interest. As an Atheist that does not surprise me at all. I have seen incredibly little political debate on these forums since I joined in 2004. All that I have observed is poorly informed yet heavily interpreted rhetoric designed, purely, to irritate and provoke a response from, those of an opposite persuasion. Please do not fool yourselves that it is anything other.
Geordie 02 May 2012 15:18
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Patricia Davies Everything J.D.   It has been tried before, see Owen's shovel full He knows, you know.. It always dribbles into other threads and it is a killer to the regular posters who don't engage in politics or religion and this is their forum too. The oldies on FR (metaphorically speaking) usually curtail any bear clawing before it gets to far, we have learned from the past. See how I spoil Owen's fun? We recognise his fun and enjoy him, but he is the best not so subtle  stirrer on FR. bless him. Patricia, my little sunbeam, I love yee and youve just made my day you bring out the best in me pet and its much appreciated. As for having a forum just for political debate, its a "no" from me and as regards to a religious debate, its a "no" from him.
The Huntress 02 May 2012 15:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Owen Hunter Patricia, my little sunbeam, I love yee and you've just made my day you bring out the best in me pet and it's much appreciated. As for having a forum just for political debate, it's a "no" from me and as regards to a religious debate, it's a "no" from him. Well done, my Geordie Lad, Whats the score now? Am I still winning? Huh? Huh?
John Richards 02 May 2012 15:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
New Forum

There was an unwritten rule on navy mess-decks, "No Religion - No Politics" and Im sure that applied to the other two services. Both subjects easily give rise to arguments and neither can be discussed without the possibility of upsetting someone. Having said that, it seems that every forum I join in soon descends into total farce.
Nobby 02 May 2012 16:36
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
[QUOTE]Quoting: Mike Pass [I]There you go then, Steve. As you inferred earlier; this has been tried before. It most certainly has and failed, for the reasons given in most of the preceding posts. There are those on site who will interpolate political views into ANY and EVERY topic initiated. from, those of an opposite persuasion. Im bound to agree Mike! It is axiomatic of the sensitivities of those with deeply entrenched views that some normal posts with no political inference whatsoever are often taken as an attack and out comes the whole nine yards of why your opinion is wrong even when you werent expressing one but just happen to mention a word in your text. Like "Labour"!! So no, I doubt anyone would use a dedicated thread because even the main instigator of such argument wouldnt probably use it because no one else would! I would suggest a better alternative would be a "Group Hug" thread!
Sigs 02 May 2012 17:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
new forum

political views must be a no go area leave it to those fools in both the upper and lower house`s. Let them make fools of each other.
Forum post attachment
Spud 02 May 2012 22:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Steve Greenwood I know this has been suggested in the past but, would it not be a good idea to have a dedicated forum just for political debate? What do others think of this? I agree with Steve but politics has a habit of infiltrating threads that start off completely unrelated and a dedicated forum would not keep the subject in one place for very long.
John (Scouse) Hirons 02 May 2012 23:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall [I]Quoting: Mike Pass [I]T It is axiomatic of the sensitivities of those with deeply entrenched views that some normal posts with no political inference whatsoever are often taken as an attack and out comes the whole nine yards of why your opinion is wrong even when you weren't expressing one but just happen to mention a word in your text. Like "Labour" So no, I doubt anyone would use a dedicated thread because even the main instigator of such argument wouldn't probably use it because no one else would! I would suggest a better alternative would be a "Group Hug" thread!  [/I] Alright Colin, Tut, tut tut. & Tory to you. Ps, Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive! Last edited by John (scouse) Hirons
Nobby 02 May 2012 23:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Having proved my point precisely...I rest my case!
John (Scouse) Hirons 03 May 2012 00:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Steve Greenwood I know this has been suggested in the past but, would it not be a good idea to have a dedicated forum just for political debate? What do others think of this? Alright Steve, I agree with the majority of posters on this thread, it just wouldnt work. You will always get the twonk who will drag in myths about past politics to try to disrupt a debate they are losing knowing all they have to do is throw in the name Labour to get the pack baying, just look at Colin Hs last 2 post to see what I mean. I have had a go at getting a debate going & apart from the rather weired types who wanted to stick flowers in their hair or the type that deliberately misunderstood posts in order to disrupt the topic it went on for 13 pages & thats 13 pages more than weve had for quite some time. Apart from Cyber Family (on which I happily post), do tell the tale (which I re-started to try & get members used to posting again), Quote of the day, & on this day there are only joke threads this is hardly likely to hold anyones interest for more than a few minute. As I said any serious thread will always have to run the gauntlet of the self declared wind up merchants, I have noticed that these peculiar creatures tend to whinge when the tables are turned still thats the same for all bullies but soldier on regardless & I will enjoy joining in with any debate posted that interests me. Ps Thanks Colin for giving me more ammunition & proving my point for me.
Nobby 03 May 2012 01:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Does this mean were officially engaged?
Sit Vis Nobiscum. 03 May 2012 09:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
A marriage made in heaven Q? Did Colin H prove Scouses point, or did Scouse prove Colins. Whens the big day then
The Huntress 03 May 2012 11:41
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Davies A marriage made in heaven Q? Did Colin H prove Scouses' point, or did Scouse prove Colins. When's the big day then Colin H just proved he is not so subtle a stirrer as even our Owen, who does it for fun, not spite! Purporting a group hug thread, which we already have regularly on CF....... But then suggesting He and Scouse are engaged, I would say, only in combat.
Sit Vis Nobiscum. 03 May 2012 11:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Patricia Davies Colin H just proved he is not so subtle a stirrer as even our Owen, who does it for fun, not spite! Purporting a 'group hug' thread, which we already have regularly on CF....... But then suggesting He and Scouse are engaged, I would say, only in combat. Ill be interested to see Colins reply to that. If he bothers.
The Huntress 03 May 2012 12:05
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Davies I'll be interested to see Colins' reply to that. If he bothers. He probably wont Colin, as recognised, he is usually a hit and runner. So as usual, Scouse will always have the last word.
John Richards 03 May 2012 12:07
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
New Forum

Hey, this is going great. Who would have believed it? A New Forum about a New Forum, and everyone is joining in. Im not sure about a group hug, though. I much prefer individual hugs, theyre easy to carry around, and theyre always ready to use without recharging.
Mike Pass 03 May 2012 12:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Quoting: John Richards Hey, this is going great. Who would have believed it? A New Forum about a New Forum, and everyone is joining in. Can we really be surprised?! This happens quite often and I must admit to noticing the way it was going earlier but couldnt be arsed mentioning it. innit?!
Nobby 03 May 2012 14:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Patricia Davies He probably won't Colin, as recognised, he is usually a hit and runner. So as usual,  Scouse will always have the last word.
Forum post attachment
Nobby 03 May 2012 14:46
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Youll need another New Forum soon. Given Tony B Liar has announced a desire to return to to the political scene, well have to create yet another thread:" New New Labour 2"
John (Scouse) Hirons 03 May 2012 15:07
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall You'll need another New Forum soon. Given Tony B Liar has announced a desire to return to to the political scene, we'll have to create yet another thread:" New New Labour 2" See what I mean Steve, Colin D I do believe that not only is my point proved but I get to say "I told you so". Ps Thanks once again Colin H for proving my point for me.
Sit Vis Nobiscum. 03 May 2012 15:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Seems to me that as soon as the hook is baited the same fish is landed.
John (Scouse) Hirons 03 May 2012 18:38
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Davies Seems to me that as soon as the hook is baited the same fish is landed. Alright Colin, Is it true that if you fly into Auckland Airport the captain tell you to set your watches back 60 years? Ps I go fishing with a shotgun. Last edited by John (scouse) Hirons
Nobby 03 May 2012 20:27
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Its true if you believe in fairy tales Scouse, and you being left-leaning and all that.....
The Huntress 03 May 2012 21:40
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall In comparison to the furore that you yourself created on the post of another using the word bollocxs etc, I am reporting your similar post. There is not one rule for you and penalties for others, ged it? I always knew coming up through the ranks carried original baggage and it shows, err officer and a gentleman? I dont think so.....
Forum post attachment
Spud 03 May 2012 21:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John (scouse) Hirons Alright Colin, Is it true that if you fly into Auckland Airport the captain tell you to set your watches back 60 years? Ps  I go fishing with a shotgun. Last edited by John (scouse) Hirons I dont know about Auckland but if you fly into ChCh set your watch back to the Blitz years. .303 is the preferred firearm for illegal fishing, and its the stun that does the job.
Forum post attachment
Nobby 03 May 2012 22:18
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Patricia Davies In comparison to the furore that you yourself created on the post of another using the word bollocxs etc, I am reporting your similar post. There is not one rule for you and penalties for others, ged it? I always knew coming up through the ranks carried original baggage and it shows, err officer and a gentleman? I don't think so.....   Hmm...a bit selective there aren't you Patricia? You seem to have missed this post! I presume you'll be using the "Report Post" function? Quote: CYBER   FAMILY   175 Jack Kelly 14/04/2012 23:34:23 " I Was Really F... On Leaving The Hospital On Thursday.And To All You F...ers That Look Down On My Way To Combat Pain (F... Yous) UNquote" Last edited by Colin Hall
The Huntress 03 May 2012 23:29
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
[QUOTE]Quoting: Colin Hall [I] Hmm...a bit selective there aren't you Patricia? You seem to have missed this post! I presume you'll be using the "Report Post" function? Quote: deleted; unecessary and anal Yes, I shall be using the report function and no, I am not being selective Colin, you are so repetitive with your sarcastic barbs and inuendos, you really are the bottom of the pile. You do not have to put others down in order to feel good about yourself, so cut it out, totally unecessary and as for the words you quoted, exactly the same as you have used, only more than once,.....Further do you not surmise occasionally, that some of our vets are in real physical pain?? As a nurse I have heard worse, so dont hold your sensitivities any higher than any ex serving soul on here. Time you had a conversation with your conscience man.!
Nobby 03 May 2012 23:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I can see why your word is never done....
Sigs 04 May 2012 00:18
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
new forum

Patricia .you are one fantastic lady , colin is a load of rubish and has always been one pile of rubish he is the king ,he thinks.he talks rubish all the time I would like to see his military records .long live Patricia
Nobby 04 May 2012 00:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: george woolley Patricia .you are one fantastic lady , colin is a load  of rubish and has always been one pile of rubish he is the king ,he thinks.he talks rubish all the time I would like to see his military records .long live Patricia   I suggest you read the Terms for posting! 12. Prohibitions. You are responsible for ensuring that no material you post, or which is posted through a machine on which you access the Forces Reunited Website, nor any activity or communication you make in connection with any Forces Reunited Website, will be capable of (a) infringing the intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity, (b) breaching any applicable law, whether criminal, tortious or otherwise, or (c) appearing to be offensive, threatening, obscene, pornographic, false, unreliable or misleading. Nor will you post any personal abuse aimed at a member in particular.
The Huntress 04 May 2012 00:28
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall I suggest you read the Terms for posting! 12. Prohibitions. You are responsible for ensuring that no material you post, or which is posted through a machine on which you access the Forces Reunited Website, nor any activity or communication you make in connection with any Forces Reunited Website, will be capable of (a) infringing the intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity, (b) breaching any applicable law, whether criminal, tortious or otherwise, or (c) appearing to be offensive, threatening, obscene, pornographic, false, unreliable or misleading. Nor will you post any personal abuse aimed at a member in particular. Colin, How dare you quote rules and regs that you never follow yourself.? Do you think you can intimidate George as well? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because you have been sussed and laid bare, you dont like it. It is not nice is it Colin? So please dont continue doing it to others, as I am sure you will see more of the same. people will only tolerate so much , and you have reached that barrier as far as I am concerned. Now let it drop before I really embarrass you.
Nobby 04 May 2012 00:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Go ahead! I can't wait to hear your balanced views! Keep digging! I love gangs of two! Last edited by Colin Hall
The Huntress 04 May 2012 00:40
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall Go ahead! I can't wait to hear your balanced views! Keep digging! I love gangs of two! Last edited by Colin Hall It would be interesting to see how accurate your supposition is of gangs of two I have said all I need to say, just hope you listened.! Now grow up and stop being silly.
John (Scouse) Hirons 04 May 2012 00:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Alright Steve, Now you see why it would be impossible to have a separate forum; our friend Colin would do to it what he has done to this thread, divert it & use it to, as he calls it, "wind people up" or as anyone else would call it flaming maybe he should read the rules he is happy quoting to George; flaming (hostile & insulting interaction) is also against the rules, in fact people have been booted off the site for that offence. [BR][BR]   Colin when not flaming goes his merry way & trolls;[BR][BR]Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness.[BR][BR]If you read that description you must admit it fits Colin to a tee. [BR][BR] Last edited by John (scouse) Hirons
Nobby 04 May 2012 00:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Does this mean our engagement is off?
Nobby 04 May 2012 00:52
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: george woolley Patricia .you are one fantastic lady , colin is a load  of rubish and has always been one pile of rubish he is the king ,he thinks.he talks rubish all the time I would like to see his military records .long live Patricia   Here you go George, Happy to oblige[and its all on this site anyway] Rubbish has two "bs by the way Service Number: 4199284/A80431 Service: RAF/RNZAF Rank: Sqn Ldr Year Signed Up: 1957 Year Left: 1982 edit Currently Serving: No edit Service History: RAF 1957-62, RNZAF 1962-82
The Huntress 04 May 2012 00:52
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall Does this mean our engagement is off? That depends Colin, show me the ring.... but arent you still married? Oh, duh, you mean engagement I think yes, we have reached the end of it, so have a really good day and I will have a really good night.
The Huntress 04 May 2012 00:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall Here you go George, Happy to oblige[and it's all on this site anyway] Rubbish has two "bs' by the way Service Number: 4199284/A80431 Service: RAF/RNZAF Rank: Sqn Ldr Year Signed Up: 1957 Year Left: 1982 edit Currently Serving: No edit Service History: RAF 1957-62, RNZAF 1962-82 I think we all know this off by heart Colin.
Nobby 04 May 2012 01:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John (scouse) Hirons Alright Steve, Now you see why it would be impossible to have a separate forum; our friend Colin would do to it was he has done to this thread, divert it & use it to, as he calls it, "wind people up" or as anyone would call it flaming maybe he should read the rules he is happy quoting to George; flaming (hostile & insulting interaction) is also against the rules, in fact people have been booted off the site for that offence. Your usual unbiased opinion Scouse? I have not at any time diverted from this thread. I have not at any time been guilty of "flaming" as you put it, but I suggest you read the posts of your friends for bias in that direction I have, in fact shown great restraint in not responding in kind, despite hostile and personal comments. Perhaps you missed that?