The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Confused

Confused

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Sez 11 March 2012 15:52 1376 views Link  
Sez 11 March 2012 15:52
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Confused

Hello, I am currently researching my great grandad Michael Blackburne, i have found his service history on here Regiment:Royal Engineers Additional Regiment Info:6 Bomb Disposal Coy. Date of Death 27/03/1941 now there is a story floating about the family that he was clearing a beach of landmines when some civillians became stranded, he sacrificed himself so they could get to safety. I dont know how true this is so would like to find out if possible how he died, is there a way to do that?
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Kev B 12 March 2012 11:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Confused

Hi Sarah Lee. I remember a Normandy Veteran telling about his older brother being killed while clearing beach mines in England at the 60th D-Day/ Normandy Landing in France in 2004 and  he was in the Royal Marines? Doubt any connected but never know? Last edited by Kev bywater
John Richards 12 March 2012 12:22
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Confused

Hi Sarah Lee, There is reference to 3439194 Sapper Michael Blackburne on the RE Roll of Honour. If you Google - Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal EOD - you will find more. Good luck in your search. Last edited by John Richards
Sez 12 March 2012 16:29
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards Hi Sarah Lee, There is reference to 3439194 Sapper Michael Blackburne on the RE Roll of Honour. If you Google - Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal EOD - you will find more. Good luck in your search. Last edited by John Richards Hiya yes i found that, it says the details about the incident are unavailable im not sure if that means they are lost or just not available online? thanks
Sez 12 March 2012 16:31
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Kev bywater Hi Sarah Lee. I remember a Normandy Veteran telling about his older brother being killed while clearing beach mines in England at the 60th D-Day/ Normandy Landing in France in 2004 and  he was in the Royal Marines? Doubt any connected but never know? Last edited by Kev bywater Maybe, at present im researching my family tree, other than my my great grandads children and his mum and dads names i havent been able to locate siblings or even place them on a census yet!
Sez 12 March 2012 17:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
If i request a copy of the service record from the MOD site would the information be on there?
Timbo 13 March 2012 10:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
If its still classified then NO, only the MOD will hold it, unless (as some of the service records held on here and elsewhere) the serviceman or next of kin has donated it or allowed its data to be used.
Sez 13 March 2012 17:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
so if i asked my aunt (his sister) she would be able to obtain the record, she is his only living child. thanks
Timbo 14 March 2012 07:51
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Yes, there is a charge however of £30 for the MOD to do a search. The person themselves or spouse can get the record for free, all others with next of kins permission can get the full service records and without permission can only get a short service record. For relatives wishing to obtain Service Records of Deceased soldiers they must apply to the same centre using the prefix: Army Personnel Centre, Historical Disclosures, Mail Point 555 A widow or widower can obtain a search for their late spouses Service records free of charge, where as for any other family member there is a charge of £30 (currently). These searches much be accompanied by a Kinship form and a Search Document. Full details of how to go about this procedure can be found on this website. Please note however these charges are for a search only: they do not guarantee a record will be found & produced, many may have been lost or are even still classified in certain special circumstances. Hope this helps!
Sez 14 March 2012 14:09
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Thanks, it does help, ill get in touch with his daughter