{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / harry pearson

harry pearson

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Debbie Chadwick Nee Thorne 5 March 2012 21:35 1154 views Link  
Debbie Chadwick Nee Thorne 5 March 2012 21:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
harry pearson

looking for information on my grandad harry pearson...he served in the south lancs or lancashire fusiliers.... as far as we are aware was a pow and built the burma railway....any help would be greatly appreciated...many thanks debbie
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Debbie Chadwick Nee Thorne 11 March 2012 22:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
harry pearson

anyway help in how i should and where i should look for my grandad harry pearson would help me greatly....we know he was in the army and was a p.o.w in japan somewhere...mum said when her dad came home he must have weighed 7 stone if that....sadly my grandad told my dad everything where he went what he had to do etc,but my dad sadly passed away and didnt get round to telling us....what do i get if i join this site....thank you for any help i recieve...
Timbo 13 March 2012 10:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
There are unfortunately no large databases of Japanese POW records currently online in the UK. This site is soon to launch a database of Japanese homeland camps and some selected others where there have been sourced (around 15000 records). The Burma area is not included unfortunately. The problem lies with many things primarily the Japanese camp staff had an order to destroy all records, hence most are US made repatriation records or those records made by the POWs themselves on pain of death in most cases. The new Forces war records database should be launched in the Summer and it is planned to be completely free of charge.
Debbie Chadwick Nee Thorne 16 March 2012 22:24
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
thank you tim

thank you for the reply tim....im having no luck with finding my grandad..will his pow be on his army records do you think,maybe its time i applied for them
Timbo 17 March 2012 17:06
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Yes, they certainly should be. The national archives should have all of the returning POW questionaires they were obliged to make/take in 1945/6, however I don't beleive these are currently digitised, so that means a personal visit (with appointment and knowing where the documents are and what to request access to) or having a professional researcher to do this for you (not a cheap option although often effective). Far East (TNA reference WO 344/383) this is the storage reference. I'll have a look at my current database (15,300 names and growing) as I think this new database is going to be one of the biggest available when I finish it, although I'm not resting on my laurels as it'll still only represent about 70% of he total possible)- It's at my office and I'm away this weekend but if I get time next week I'll have a look and see: some camp records were terrible though, name.........camp....... that's it! Others are pretty good though so we'll see what I can find. It's certainly worth getting the service records ; £30 search fee from the MOD, you do need next of kins permission to get the full details however, hopefully that won't prove too difficult for you. The address is in our 'hints and tips' section on the tutorials of the FWR site. Last edited by Tim Hayhoe
Debbie Chadwick Nee Thorne 21 March 2012 11:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
THANK YOU TIM

thanks for your help tim...i will apply for my grandads records when i have 5 mins....mums still with us and its her dad,so no problem there...its hard this family search thing but rewarding...lol...thanks again for your help i really do appreciate it
Timbo 21 March 2012 13:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
yes, the records should be very enlightening: if you need any help deciphering anything please let us know here and well do our best. I had a look through the Japanese homeland lists (Im still a long way off completing these Im afraid) and there is a Harry pearson but this one is down as Royal artillery and thats the only one. However these are incomplete records at best to be fair and only the homeland camps.
Debbie Chadwick Nee Thorne 13 April 2012 12:23
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
harry pearson

hi tim thanks i will let you know when i apply for grandads records and get them...i have my dads and his dads army papers and they are so hard to read,lol,but we are getting through them slowly..mum is going to have a search as she said she has a letter off grandad to his mum somewhere so it,ll be easier to apply for his papers as i,ll have his army no...will keep you posted take care