{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / If youre bored with this site...

If youre bored with this site...

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Nobby 4 March 2012 08:38 13284 views Link  
Nobby 4 March 2012 08:38
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
If youre bored with this site...

...then I suggest you go and look back at all the posting under various headings over the last few months Mike Pass even appears in some of them! If, on the other hand, you are feeling, as I am, that the threads are currently in the doldrums, then the solution is quite simple! You have opinions..post them! Last edited by Phil Beacall
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Roly01 4 March 2012 08:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall ...then I suggest you go and look back at all the posting under various headings over the last few months Mike Pass even appears in some of them! If, on the other hand, you are feeling, as I am, that the threads are currently in the doldrums, then the solution is quite simple! You have opinions..post them! ok!
Forum post attachment
..... 4 March 2012 09:19
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
So I agree, hearing about the wonderful country i live in, what a wonderful wife i have, what wonderful children i have, what wonderful grandchildren i have, what a wonderful pension i have does get quite make for quite boring reading. It may come as a surprise to you Colin but we all have them, its just we dont wish to let the world know.. I for one look forward to your postings just as long as they are different from the usual "How bad things are in the U.K." you see we already know these things. As for Folks not posting thing to your taste, folks, including M.P. have a life outside of F.R.
Nobby 4 March 2012 13:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
You havent quite grasped irony yet have you! Hang on in there John!
..... 4 March 2012 15:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall You haven't quite grasped irony yet have you! Hang on in there John! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Mike Pass 4 March 2012 18:24
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!!

It may well be that I have not absorbed the intent of this thread but I must admit to being somewhat mystified and a little annoyed at seeing my name being used, ostensibly as, either, a newly discovered part of sentence construction or, a stick to beat someone with!!!?? I seem to recall another instance of this fairly recently. I will therefore, make a statement based on that which I believe to be pertinent..... I have posted, very sparingly, of late. There are health concerns as part of the reason for this but I have also made the claim, in a reply to Colin that, I find the forums (generally) to be brain crunchingly boring of late. Said statement makes the point that I feel this and does NOT make the accusation that they are boring, per se. We have spoken, many times about each members right to post. If they are paying their subscriptions and are acting within the accepted rules of the site then, they have every right to post in whatever manner suits them. If other members, such as myself find little to nothing to interest them in particular threads then, what better than to avoid them?! Better than condemning them, in my book. Also, better than posting when one has little to contribute, oneself! One mans meat, as they say. Quite likely I have missed the point of the thread and if that is the case I am open to illumination.
Nobby 4 March 2012 20:36
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
It was an oblique reference to knowing you hadn't posted for a while,[ but without any explanation] which, given who I was talking to, perhaps I should have left it out!. I'm every bit as bored with it as you are, and that was the aim! Nothing personal. I will of course totally ignore comments made about what I choose to post and where, and if he doesn't like that, then I'm afraid it's a case of tuffo shito! Last edited by Colin Hall
Roly01 4 March 2012 21:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I had two cups of tea and toast and eggs this morning for breakfast. The eggs were poached to perfection. Good morning
Mike Pass 5 March 2012 07:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

If there is one style of egg that makes me gag it is poached. Sorry but I find them a revolting spectacle, innit?!
Roly01 5 March 2012 08:01
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Had a boiled rice with morrocan beef and green peas for tea then followed with strawberries and cream and crackers biscuits with cheddar cheese from Bega in NSW for afters. Was slovely! Just letting you know that life is not boring as a cyclone is hovering close by and we are flooding through the back of the house. 250 mm rain in the last 6 hours. Life goes on and your all interesting.
Mike Pass 5 March 2012 10:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Have you fitted inflatable leg bands to the sheep then. or what???
John Richards 5 March 2012 11:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Do the sheep have to remove their stockings and suspenders before climbing into the inflatable leg bands? The only rice I like is Chinese wedding cake (with nutmeg)!
Mike Pass 5 March 2012 11:46
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Quoting: John Richards Do the sheep have to remove their stockings and suspenders before climbing into the inflatable leg bands? I would assume that, the sheep (being at the top of the food chain of Australasian amphibious quadrupeds) are not expected to don said attire of their own volition. Surely the inflatable units would be fitted by a properly trained and if necessary, supervised pneumatic engineer (someone with a lot of wind, innit?!).
John Richards 5 March 2012 12:41
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Mike Pass I would assume that, the sheep (being at the top of the food chain of Australasian amphibious quadrupeds) are not expected to don said attire of their own volition. Surely the inflatable units would be fitted by a properly trained and if necessary, supervised pneumatic engineer (someone with a lot of wind, innit?!).   It is to be hoped that this engineer would follow the correct procedure when carrying out the fitting, i.e. a glass of wine and some chocolates.
Forum post attachment
Mike Pass 5 March 2012 14:33
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhmmm!!!!

This would be dependant upon whether or not said accoutrements (French pronunciation)  fell within the Health and Safety regime prescribed for the correct fitting of ovine buoyancy aids, innit! Last edited by Mike Pass
Terry Carey 5 March 2012 15:29
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
If youre bored with this site....

I want to know why Roly doesnt buy his eggs like everyone else - unless hes sympathetic to poachers. Well, they have to make a living too!!!! ...oooOOOooo... By the way, for general information, I have just, once again, taken up the matter of threads being unavailable and received the reply that it is because some people, when opening them, use apostrophes and exclamation marks!!!!! I shall peruse the titles of such threads more carefully in future. I have now asked why this information could not have been made known in a dedicated thread. TC.
John Richards 5 March 2012 16:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
A friendly word in your shell-like, TC. MP has already made a poached egg gag . . . . Or did a poached egg make MP gag . . . . . ?
Scouseacus 5 March 2012 19:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Terry Carey,Mick Pass, Roly Rowsell et al

Just paid a fortune (well a fortune to a pensioner) to renew my description, conscription, inscription, prescription, subscription...whatever, and wonder whats going on. It was never boring a few years ago and, to be honest, Im not yet familiar with the site to rediscover whether it has become boring, so Ill probably hang around for a bit and see. Seriously, if the site has become boring I blame no-one. I seem to remember a few years ago when we decided to elect a new government from the members on this site. I seem to remember that Terry Carey was Prime Minister or something of that stature and maybe Mick Pass was Chancellor. We suggested that we could do a better job of governing the country or something as daft anyway and then we all had a little chuckle in our respective garrets I assume. The problem is that the world has become a little more serious and polititians have become a bit more silly and I think its time we asserted ourselves as senior citizens. There are too many sites for us to inhabit in the hours we have in retirement and so - in my case anyway - we dip in and out; spreading alittle wisdom here and a little chortle there and nobody, nobody takes us seriously any more. Lets face it Guys and Gals weve lost all or any influence we may have thought we had to change this world of ours before we chuck off that mortal coil, til eventually all we have left are memories of what might have been. For me, all I want to do now is to dip in and out of web sites. Really dont want to change the world - Thats for Grandson Harry - just want to be happy. I didnt know what I wanted to write but started and then broke off for tea and the news. Tea was good (home made Chicken fried rice since you ask) but the news was bad,bad,bad. I was watching what is happening in Syria and the Bombing of Homs and asking the question, "Why is the Syrian Army bombing their own people?" Dont give me the Obeying Orders stuff. I would no more bomb Manchester, Wales, Scotland than I would bomb my own family.... disgraceful, disgusting state of affairs. Why do we pay into that waste of space organisation called United Nations if we are not United in the condemnation of genoicide? Im probably on the wrong thread to be doing my Victor Meldrew but Fkn hell who listens anymore? Regards
Mike Pass 5 March 2012 19:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmm!!!!

Welcome back, George. You have been missed (I have got change of £10 note!).
Roly01 5 March 2012 20:06
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
So wonderful to see you return to the fold George Runicus of Liverpool fame. I, for one, am pleased to see the learned scribbling of such an esteemed Gentleman. I knew that the mini cyclone that we were supposed to have last night would do some good somewhere. For the remainder of you young...ish fellas. So pleased that you have been able, in your usual skilled manner, to rearrange the subject to nothing like the title. For the benifit of MP, I have gone of the subject of sheep, since I have had problems with the burrs in the fleece. Enough said on that subject. I enclose a photo of my new interest for you to peruse and comment on. Enjoy the day.
Forum post attachment
John (Scouse) Hirons 5 March 2012 20:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Arthur(Roly) Rowsell So wonderful to see you return to the fold George Runicus of Liverpool fame. I, for one, am pleased to see the learned scribbling of such an esteemed Gentleman. I knew that the mini cyclone that we were supposed to have last night would do some good somewhere. For the remainder of you young...ish fellas. So pleased that you have been able, in your usual skilled manner, to rearrange the subject to nothing like the title. For the benifit of MP, I have gone of the subject of sheep, since I have had problems with the burrs in the fleece. Enough said on that subject. I enclose a photo of my new interest for you to peruse and comment on. Enjoy the day. Alright Roly, Im disgusted, shame on you. Ps Whats her address, how much does she charge & what night is she free?
Forum post attachment
Pamela Forbes 5 March 2012 21:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Arthur(Roly) Rowsell . I enclose a photo of my new interest for you to peruse and comment on. Enjoy the day. Hi Roly, darling. If you would like advice on your new interest the US Army may be able to help you out! (see attachment). I can tell you from personel experience, having lived several years in the UAE that they make a bliddy mess of your garden if some silly bugga leaves the gates open!!
Forum post attachment
Forum post attachment
Roly01 5 March 2012 21:37
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Pamela Forbes   Hi Roly, darling.    If you would like advice on your new interest the US Army may be able to help you out!   Exceedingly poor choice of mount. No taste them Yanks.
Forum post attachment
Forum post attachment
Pamela Forbes 5 March 2012 22:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Arthur(Roly) Rowsell Exceedingly poor choice of mount. No taste them Yanks. Oi!! Dont you go pimping out dear old Ermintrude, you naughty boy! Youll have Dylan and Dougal coming round to sort you out (once they get their hands on a boat! ) Shes enjoying her retirement and keeps busy eating all the daisys that Murray sends her.
Forum post attachment
Spud 5 March 2012 23:16
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Arthur(Roly) Rowsell For the benifit of MP, I have gone of the subject of sheep, since I have had problems with the burrs in the fleece. Enough said on that subject. I used to have the same problem until an old retired sheep musterer gave me his velcro gloves.
Forum post attachment
Nobby 5 March 2012 23:37
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: john daly So I agree, hearing about the wonderful country i live in, what a wonderful wife i have, what wonderful children i have, what wonderful grandchildren i have, what a wonderful pension i have does get quite make for quite boring reading. It may come as a surprise to you Colin but we all have them, its just we don't wish to let the world know.. As for Folks not posting thing to your taste, folks, including M.P. have a life outside of F.R. I have made no reference, anywhere, to anyone, on not posting to my taste, in fact as far as MP is concerned I largely agree with his comments, and he knows that. I too have a life outside of FR, though you seem to have an aversion to my commenting on it, which sort of hoists you on your own petard on not posting to your taste. There is a simple answer to anyone not liking what they read of course, and being the simpatico chap I am Ill share it with you: it is: quite simply, Dont Read! The point has been well-made already, but in case you missed it, I dont actually seek any approval from any source as to what I post.
..... 6 March 2012 09:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Well I think you have got the message Colin, post away like a good lad , just try  to find a new topic, i notice you edited out the bit about having a go at the U.K. in your reply. We have enough "Knockers" here at home and we are aware of the problems without you referring to them in  so many of your posts. Yes i will continue to read your posts and i will also reply to them if i think like it. Just hope you make them more interesting than they have been of late, as i am sure you can. Noticed that little bit of "Creep Arsing" round  a member, Now now Colin you have been told already about bringing in other folks names in to support  your posts. P.s. Forgot to say i really hope you dont reply to this as i have said all i want to say and anymore correspondences could take it the to the boring Last edited by john daly
John Richards 6 March 2012 11:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John (scouse) Hirons Alright Roly, I'm disgusted, shame on you. Ps What's her address, how much does she charge & what night is she free? As a former member of the Senior Service, I have in the past been obliged to compare the various attributes of sheep with those of camels. In my estimation, sheep come out best, because you dont have so far to walk round to their front to kiss them.
Mike Pass 6 March 2012 11:04
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Devotees of sexual shenanigans with the ovine race will tell you that welly boots are the best tool for the job as the rear legs of said sheep fit into them along with one's own. Those of the Camel fancying persuasion would not be in a position, so to speak, to adopt the same method of congress. Does this make the sheep superior? I'm not sure! Last edited by Mike Pass
..... 6 March 2012 11:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards As a former member of the Senior Service, I have in the past been obliged to compare the various attributes of sheep with those of camels. In my estimation, sheep come out best, because you don't have so far to walk round to their front to kiss them. John. I did hear that a Camel is called "The Ship of the Desert" not because of its ability to travel long distances over sandy terrain , but because it is usually full of Arab Semen John. would you Mate with an Ungulate?? (After all you are an ex. Navy Wallah and they were always desperate for a bit of the other)
Steve Greenwood 6 March 2012 11:55
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Ive noticed in the time Ive been a member of F.R. that there are a large number of intelligent people who put forward their views and then sit back and wait for sensible replies. In most cases they get replies from like-minded people who either agree of disagree with them. Then there are the posters who attempt to be clever dicks and reply in what they consider to be a jocular fashion. It takes all sorts I hear you say but these forums should never descend into the apathy that appears to exist from time to time. I look forward to getting involved with a sensible debate which pulls in all posters without the need to display anger or pointless argument so we can all say our piece without others resorting to sarcasm or vitriol. Am I being a bit disingenuous?
Nobby 6 March 2012 12:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Nope, I can live with that!
Nobby 6 March 2012 12:04
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards As a former member of the Senior Service, I have in the past been obliged to compare the various attributes of sheep with those of camels. In my estimation, sheep come out best, because you don't have so far to walk round to their front to kiss them. I suppose you hid your camels on board in the Ready Use Locker?
Colum 6 March 2012 12:44
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I tend to stay within my own thread (Cyber Family) and we have a great time and meet up yearly. I find that no matter the subject there is always sosmeone ready to rock the boat by veering away from that subject into politics or some other item. By the way i love eggs in whatever form. I think irony is another word for sarcasm - perhaps i am wrong.
John Richards 6 March 2012 12:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
With the approach of the Olympic Games, perhaps some of you would be interested in this piece of useless knowledge. Ethiopians have proved consistently to be the greatest long-distance runners in the world. Why should this be? It seems that they have a tendency to form romantic attachments to camels and should the camel have a headache, they have to run along behind holding on to its tail.
Murray Whyte 6 March 2012 13:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards As a former member of the Senior Service, I have in the past been obliged to compare the various attributes of sheep with those of camels. In my estimation, sheep come out best, because you don't have so far to walk round to their front to kiss them. Senior Service, camels and sheep. Of course sheep will come out best, the other two are fags.
Murray Whyte 6 March 2012 13:06
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Mike Pass Devotees of sexual shenanigans with the ovine race will tell you that welly boots are the best tool for the job as the rear legs of said sheep fit into them along with one's own. Those of the Camel fancying persuasion would not be in a position, so to speak, to adopt the same method of congress. Do this make the sheep superior? I'm not sure! Welly boots went out of fashion when the Derri Boot arrived on the scene. A warm lined boot padded at the top with built in laces. Now that is luxury!
Mike Pass 6 March 2012 13:10
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Quoting: Steve Greenwood Am I being a bit disingenuous? Not at all. However, I would take this opportunity to attempt to explain, YET AGAIN to those unable to grasp the concept that; FR Admin has segregated the Forum area into sub genres. For the befuddled this simply means that, Hot Topics was always intended for the raising of serious issues and considered debate. THIS section, namely General/Light hearted was always intended for that very thing. Humorous discussion on non earth shattering topics, jocular posting, such as this thread has seen and in general, topics which in no way should ever have cause to raise the wrath of the membership. Until the time that some members start paying attention to the nomenclature above the forum pages and desist in the habit of posting in opposition to the the forum intent i.e. stop posting serious topics in General and light hearted topics in Hot topics then, there will ever be cause for one member or another to whinge about what has happened to their thread. Not sure what is a serious topic and what is lighthearted??? Well perhaps you would be happier on the Tri Service site (if it is still in existence) run by a long ago removed idiot from this site!
Mike Pass 6 March 2012 13:13
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Quoting: Murray Whyte Welly boots went out of fashion when the Derri Boot arrived on the scene.  A warm lined boot padded at the top with built in laces.   Now that is luxury! That is as maybe but can the sheep fanciers get their partners back legs in as well as their own???? As one who has also worn Derries I would suggest not. Not having experimented, you understand. Just an educated assumption.
Mac 6 March 2012 13:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Murray Whyte Senior Service, camels and sheep. Of course sheep will come out best, the other two are fags. Murray. At first I thought you were being derogatory....then I realised you meant Cigarettes!!!! lol
John Raymond 6 March 2012 13:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Well, well, I didnt realise we had so many experts on sheep, and the multiple and varied techniques for "taking care " of them. This being so, can someone suggest a method and/or equipment required for the removal of "sheep-ticks" from a sensitive area?
Mike Pass 6 March 2012 13:41
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!

Serpently! Get a box of Sheep Crosses (cheaper over the counter than on prescription). They should counteract the Ticks, innit!
John Raymond 6 March 2012 13:46
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Aye,the best solutions are always the simplest. I should point out that the victim of the wee beasties is my Border Collie, not I. Honest!
..... 6 March 2012 13:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
[QUOTE]Quoting: John Raymond Well, well, I didn't realise we had so many experts on sheep, and the multiple and varied techniques for "taking care " of them. This being so, can someone suggest a method and/or equipment required for the removal of "sheep-ticks" from a sensitive area? [/QUOTE John When i was 17 i came home from  a week at Butlins Filey and had a similar problem. Went to the corner shop Chemist and off the top shelf the old man gave me a Tin of "Troopers Ointment" Shave and slap on were his instructions. Innocently i showed this tin to my Mother ( Mumbling something about an "Itch". Well my old Ma. went Bananas, "Thats the stuff they gave the troops during the war" (Did not ask how she knew that) but i hid away in the bedroom with a pair of Carpet shears and the tin. All ended O.K. but lots of dirty looks from the Old Lady. Last edited by john daly
John Richards 6 March 2012 14:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Raymond Well, well, I didn't realise we had so many experts on sheep, and the multiple and varied techniques for "taking care " of them. This being so, can someone suggest a method and/or equipment required for the removal of "sheep-ticks" from a sensitive area? Just Google tick removers, John. A vast selection and very cheap. (I had to struggle to avoid mentioning ticky tape’
John Richards 6 March 2012 14:13
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Without intending any offence to my favourite people north of the border, I have been led to believe that Scotsmen mumble when they are servicing sheep. This is not a speech defect, but simply because they have to hold the kilt up with their chin.
..... 6 March 2012 14:52
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards Without intending any offence to my favourite people north of the border, I have been led to believe that Scotsmen mumble when they are servicing sheep. This is not a speech defect, but simply because they have to hold the kilt up with their chin. My son in law is from Aberdeen and is my favourite when he is "North of the border". "Is that your Dirk or are you just pleased to see me "Baa...
John (Scouse) Hirons 6 March 2012 15:25
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I believe it was that famous Scottish Jew Rabbi Burns who said; Roses are red, violets are blue. Camels are petty but sheep are more ewe.
Nobby 6 March 2012 15:44
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colum Doherty I think irony is another word for sarcasm - perhaps i am wrong. Im afraid you are indeed wrong Colum, Irony is much more subtle than sarcasm!
Colum 6 March 2012 16:07
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Thank you Colin. I bow to your superior knowledge.