{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Surgeon James Ronayne Aldershot and Barbados

Surgeon James Ronayne Aldershot and Barbados

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Mariann Tarpey 27 February 2012 17:48 1152 views Link  
Mariann Tarpey 27 February 2012 17:48
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Surgeon James Ronayne Aldershot and Barbados

Hello there! I would like to get your attention and your hands-on assistance. I have been trying to keep a promise to my Dad RIP to find out what happened to his gt.granduncles(Terence Ronayne) son James, who served with the Royal Navy.From the British Medical Journal I learned that he qualified from Edinburgh in 1879. He appears in the 1881 census for England Surgeon ranking as Captain, 25 years, single residing at Queens Villas in Aldershot, Surrey. After that I drew a blank. A hobby-genealogist in Ireland sent me an extract from local history notes which speak about my fathers family and referring to the fact, that the Naval Officer died on Barbados - no date. I would very much like to know under what circumstances and to find out if any Photo/Print/Likeness or any personal effects exist. I live in Germany and was listening by chance to Radio 4 yesterday (Sunday) when suddenly the first episode of a new Serial was announced. Imagine my surprise to hear it was to be a dramatisation of The Cruel Sea! I found myself deeply moved. I will not rest until I can obtain the information above. Hence this appeal. Who can assist in this worthy effort? Kind Regards, Mariann Ronayne-Tarpey
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
John Removed 30 March 2012 19:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Re naval surgeon James Ronayne

Hold hard there Mariann, Firstly, with regard to what you said re... "A hobby-genealogist in Ireland sent me an extract from local history notes which speak about my fathers family and referring to the fact, that the Naval Officer died on Barbados - no date." Well permit me to advise you that info like that is fine up to a point, that point or rather points being, what was the source, can it be checked, was it transmitted accurately, or did errors creep in when it was sent to you, or indeed were there errors in the original source which your informant may not have picked up on. ? Now Mariann, as regards that info, I suspect that whats happened is tht your informant hasnt found a bit of local history, Ithink that theyve done a search of the death records on a genealogical site. Ive done the same thing, and heres an exact copy and paste of the information I found, with a couple of additional bits which you may or may not have, but which will enable you, should you wish to, to get a copy of the death certificate which should contain fuller info. However, before you might do that, hold hard once again, pending further research, because a) there are other deaths listed for that name, and b) this might not be him, because this information is a record of the entry of death in the death REGISTER book, not to be confused with the actual death certificate but its an army deaths register. Would a naval officer be listed in an army register, I dont know, perhaps he was on detached shore duty at the time, but thats just my speculation. Heres the info Armed Forces registration event: Death CloseName: RONAYNE, James Station: Barbados Country: West Indies Year: 1881 Page: 745 Age at death: ( note from james...nothing listed here ) Record source: GRO Army Death Indices (1881 to 1955) The gro is the General Register Office and you can apply there for the death certificate, but note,theres nothing to suggest that he was an officer, naval or otherwise, but if he was on detached service, that might explain why his age wasnt known, if so, what other info might not appear on the death cert. ? Just google GRO for the address and so on, the procedure for applications is explained there. That info is a transcript from the original register, a pic of the actual register page is available, and Ill upload it to a site that you can download it from, and Ill post the download link here, if thats allowed, which it probably isnt, but Ill do that later in another message, Ill see what else I can find, try and email me, my address is in a message a little ways up the page, if it doesnt get deleted before you see it. James.
John Removed 30 March 2012 20:11
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Naval

Marianne, here is a link to some naval surgeons journals in the national archives, they might interest you as background info about your ancestors work and working conditions. Nope, links cant be posted here...so... Just google national archives surgeonsatsea James
John Removed 30 March 2012 23:04
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Surgeon Roynayne in Aldershot

Marianne Hi, It says youre online at the moment, but I have no way of contacting you direct, which would be a whole lot easier. infohere At Im just looking through the hushmail Aldershot 1881 census dot return com and I think there are some discrepancies with the information that you have from that source and I think you may have drawn some mistaken conclusions from that material. Ill list the EXACT census info here later and explain this matter further, suffice to say for now that Im pretty sure that the Aldershot doctor is an army doctor and is not a naval surgeon, unless you have evidence to the contrary. So you might have been on the right track with that Barbados death registry entry and that would also explain why a naval doctor was listed in an army register. Ill see what I can find. BTW, I hope that you are reading this stuff, Im wondering if Im talking to myself at the moment. Regards.
John Removed 31 March 2012 00:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Re Barbados military cemeteries

Aha, just found a book that might help with your quest. Monumental inscriptions in the Barbados Military Cemetery stmt. resp.: Mary E. Gleadall authors: Gleadall, Mary E. Barbados Military Cemetery format: Books/Monographs language: English publication: Barbados : M. Gleadall, 2000 physical: v, 127 p. : ill. subject class: 972.981 V3 and there is a volunteer cemetery preservation groupin Barbados, perhaps they could provide some information or assistance.
John Removed 31 March 2012 01:22
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Barbados military cemetery still exists

The Military cemetery on barbados contains monuments as far back as the 1820s, and its well maintained. In fact its a tourist attraction !, its part of the Garrison historic area, and is right next to a Hilton hotel.! Its located at Needhams point. google barbados dot org for a pic and description
John Removed 1 April 2012 05:44
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
blimey what a site

Marian Tarpey the starter of this thread was listed yesterday 31st march as being online at the time and yet her profile says that she hasnt visited here since 27th March. What a site. ! Im starting to suspect that theres a bit of spoofing going on here with some of these posts. I mean, how long does it take to visit the site and see if any replies have been posted to your query. NOW, theres a new post by some guy who has been looking for someone who may still possibly be alive and hes been loking for him for at least two years. Blimey, I could have found the crew of the marie Celeste in that time. ! Anyway, Ive got another source for the date of death of Surgeon Ronayne, the same source also lists his date of birth and the date of his appointment as a military surgeon. Ive also got the date and page numbers of the listing of his appointment in The London Gazette. However, if the original poster/thread starter cant even be bothered to check for replies...
Mariann Tarpey 23 April 2012 13:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Surgeon-Captain James Ronayne Aldershot and Barbados

Hi! Have noted relevant postings. England and Wales Census return refers to James Ronayne Queens Villa 1 Queens Road, Surgeon A.M.D. as Captain Ranking, age:25, Single. As I have no idea whether that points to Navy or Army, I am in need of a qualified opinion here. With regard to the address given - perhaps someone can comment - has the address anything to do with the Army or Navy?? He was aged 25 in 1881 so he died aged 25. Apparently he died of yellow fever - whether in the course of Service or not or what, I cannot find out. All efforts to make contact with the National Barbados Archives over several months have not even elicited an acknokledgement. He must have had some papers -official and personal,left some personal effects. I guess his unit must have errected the memorial - my research has shown that only his name,cause of death and date of death - 10.08.1881 can be taken from the inscription - I have not seen it however! Can anyone tell me what the army or navy did with papers, belongings of a young doctor, who died of yellow fever in 1881? I am not aware of these having been returned to Ireland. Is there anywhere I can check what happened to his effects? - his medical degrees from Edinburgh, a photo. maybe?? Thank-you for your interest!