{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / unemployment

unemployment

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Millsy 23 February 2012 18:10 3261 views Link  
Millsy 23 February 2012 18:10
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
unemployment

every day we read or hear of british people losing there jobs, companies going bust,and britian going further into a recission,what future for the young,the middle aged, and the senior workers,unemployment breads crime,illness,depression,reposessions,ect,and the goverment seems to have lost the plot, so why not bring back national service,it would help stop crime,stop boredom,give pride back to unemployed people, help the armed forces that is srinking, cut the cost of paying out benifits,it has so many pluses,why can the goverment not see what is so deperately needed,ofcorse they will never agree to such a plan,that would be to simple,they would rather splash out millions of benifits,and let in more from abroad to bleed this country of ours dry,what a future we are going to have,ex fusilier pete mills.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Mo 23 February 2012 20:52
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
equasions

Quoting: Peter Mills every day we read or hear of british people losing there jobs, companies going bust,and britian going further into a recission,what future for the young,the middle aged, and the senior workers,unemployment breads crime,illness,depression,reposessions,ect,and the goverment seems to have lost the plot, so why not bring back national service,it would help stop crime,stop boredom,give pride back to unemployed people, help the armed forces that is srinking, cut the cost of paying out benifits,it has so many pluses,why can the goverment not see what is so deperately needed,ofcorse they will never agree to such a plan,that would be to simple,they would rather splash out  millions of benifits,and let in more from abroad to bleed this country of ours dry,what a future we are going to have,ex fusilier pete mills. Ido feel for most of the young people who cant find work , but lets bring into the equasion the fact that when some of us on this site left school we were allowed to take a job anywhere without the constraints of some of the stupid rules and regulations that are prevelent and hinder companys from taking them on also the demise of manufacturing doesnt help . furthermore at the age of 18 the armed forces were thereto pick up the slack. Ontop of that we have had a massiveincrease in the population exasipated by the influx of young Immigrants Yes as a 79 year old i feel sosorry for the future of our young people.
Murray Whyte 23 February 2012 23:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
The left hand of The Government are going on about Youth Unemployment and asking what to do about it. They are spending money to try and create jobs. The right hand is increasing the retirement age and therefore older people are working longer. Why not reduce the retirement age and create jobs for the Youth of today. As for National Service, I dont think this would solve anything. The modern youth (not them all) has no self discipline or respect for others and even themselves. They argue with the authorities so what would stop them doing the same on NS?
Roly01 24 February 2012 03:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
A few rounds of the barrack square would soon sort them out. If they argue, make them carry a >303 at arms length in front of them while doubling. Then if they want to argue further, send them out with a .303 held above the head and doing bunny hops around the camp. Sod this PC and uman rights rubbish..... Swim in the barracks swimming pool where you have to break the ice to get into the water. Toughen up the little buggas.
Ally Bell 24 February 2012 09:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
cor...wish i was big an strong like you.
Forum post attachment
..... 24 February 2012 10:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
How is it that all young people are Lazy, good for nothings except our own. ??. A Quote................ "I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependant on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When i was a boy we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders. but the present day youth are wise and impatient of restraint" Who said this??........... Hesiod, a Greek Poet 700 B.C.
Raymond Hall 24 February 2012 11:44
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
cyber family 174 general

good afternoon all,no bowls for me tomorrow,why?tempreture forcast is a pleasant 39+c and osh say we cannot playif it exceeds 37c so I will just have to suffer, put my shorts on stock up with food and booze and laze about under the pergola watching sport all day. its going to be hard but somebody has to do it,so I have decided its going to be the wife and I.we deserve it. ray/shirl
Mike Pass 24 February 2012 15:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Ray, you are posting out of forum again, my friend. Please check that you are within the confines of the CF forum before making your posts....
The Huntress 24 February 2012 16:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Mike Pass Ray, you are posting out of forum again, my friend. Please check that you are within the confines of the CF forum before making your posts.... Ray love, this is what to do... Open FR Go to forums (left hand colum) press forums look for latest post on CF 174 click on it See all the latest posts Bottom of the page You are now ready to new post or Quote to answer a post You can only edit your own posts. Hope this helps love. This works and you wont get mislaid again.
Bill Netcher 27 February 2012 19:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: maurice robinson Ido feel for most of the young people who cant find work , but lets bring into the equasion the fact that when some of us on this site left school we were allowed to take a job anywhere without the constraints of some of the stupid rules and regulations  that are prevelent and hinder companys from taking them on also the demise of manufacturing doesnt help . furthermore at the age of 18 the armed forces were thereto pick up the slack. Ontop of that we have had a massiveincrease in the population exasipated by the influx of young Immigrants Yes as a 79 year old i feel sosorry for the future of our young people. Spot on Maurice of your words of youth unemployment. My opinion is that when I left school in 58 and went down to the labour exchange as it was called than i was asked and I am sure a lot on here was asked the same question what do you want to do. Which I think that is where the difference is and not to be told you will do this job. Also when you went into the job most industries had the apprenticeship going which i think was 3 years also you always worked with a guy who was due to retire and He would pass on his skills to the young apprentice. Also you got job satisfaction which I must admit I havent heard that word for a very long time. Cheers
Mo 27 February 2012 20:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
[QUOTE]Quoting: Bill Netcher[/B] [I] Spot on Maurice of your words of youth unemployment.       My opinion is that when I left school in 58 and went down to the labour exchange as it was called than i was asked and I am sure a lot on here was asked the same question what do you want to do.    Which I think that is where the difference is and not to be told you will do this job.    Also when you went into the job most industries had the apprenticeship going which i think was 3 years also you always worked with a guy who was due to retire and He would pass on his skills to the young apprentice.     Also you got job satisfaction which I must admit I havent heard that word for a very long time.    Cheers [/I][/QUOTE]a correction imade a mistake i left school in 1948 not 58:woot: :woot: :woot:
Mo 27 February 2012 20:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Murray Whyte The left hand of 'The Government' are going on about Youth Unemployment and asking what to do about it.  They are spending money to try and create jobs. The right hand is increasing the retirement age and therefore older people are working longer. Why not reduce the retirement age and create jobs for the Youth of today. As for National Service, I don't think this would solve anything.   The modern youth (not them all) has no self discipline or respect for others and even themselves.  They argue with the authorities so what would stop them doing the same on NS? correct about National Service it would be impossible to have such a Scheme with all the young immigrants in the country whoes going to make them join up. the only possibility would to make them do some sort of service (not arm them with a gun) as part of their terms of residencey in this country.
Ros Comain. 27 February 2012 22:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I agree Maurice, but we are where we are, unlike when we left school there were plenty of jobs available. I therefore think the schemes that are being implemented, to give young people some experience of the working enviroment can only be good. I am aware that a few employers will take advantage, and use the system as cheap labour, but in the main most will act responsibly, and will in many cases take on the youngsters, who apply themselves well, during the training period. I recall during the late 80s a young man who I knew well, undertook a Youth training scheme at the age of17, through hard work and studying he became, at 37, one of the youngest CEOs in his field, and to-day actively promotes, in conjunction with other companies, in a deprived area of London these apprentiship schemes, with some success.
Scouse 27 February 2012 23:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Michael I may seem a little doubtful of all people who have "made it",in life as achievers and help out the youth of today to "get on in life"but rumour has it that wonderful super-store American firm ASDA are taking work experience youngsters on for free (Dole paid only) and are reducing the hours the part-time staff are on. Coincidental or what????? Signed Mr Angry Merseyside.
Nobby 28 February 2012 03:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Its not National Service, but New Zealand does run a Limited Service Volunteer scheme The Limited Service Volunteer (LSV) scheme is a combined Ministry of Social Development and New Zealand Defence Force initiative hosted at Burnham Army Camp. The Ministry of Social Development provides the operating costs, while the NZDF delivers expertise and the training personnel. About 700 trainees attend the six week courses each year. To be eligible for admission to the programme a trainee should be aged between 18-25 and be registered with Work and Income. The mission of the LSV is "to increase numbers of young New Zealanders entering employment or further training". One Force met some of the trainees and staff of the first LSV intake of 2009. The Trainees A "shock to the system" is how many trainees describe their first week at the Limited Service Volunteer (LSV) Company. Five intakes of 150 young people arrive at Burnham Army camp each year for a six week course of military training which keeps them challenged all day, every day. Based on the classic Army model, each intake is divided into three groups or "Platoons". LSV Cooper Trainees dress in army fatigues and are subject to military law while there. Waking at 5.30am they are kept busy until about 10pm with a variety of physical and mental challenges. Behind all the activities is a desire to improve self esteem and confidence, inspire motivation and self discipline, and encourage respect for oneself and others. Trainees often arrive at the camp unmotivated and unfocused. They may have been in trouble with the law, have problems with drugs and alcohol, been in abusive relationships or simply have issues with focus and decision-making. No two days are the same for trainees at the LSV Company, and the programme varies between classroom-based learning and outdoor physical activities such as a 50 km tramp, river crossings, rafting and marching. The LSV instructors work hard to maintain a positive environment and guest speakers come in to give advice on things like tenancy rights, dress and grooming, budgeting, employment, and drug abuse. This scheme has been very successful I might add!
Ros Comain. 29 February 2012 21:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall LSV Cooper Trainees dress in army fatigues and are subject to military law while there. Waking at 5.30am they are kept busy until about 10pm with a variety of physical and mental challenges. Behind all the activities is a desire to improve self esteem and confidence, inspire motivation and self discipline, and encourage respect for oneself and others. Trainees often arrive at the camp unmotivated and unfocused. They may have been in trouble with the law, have problems with drugs and alcohol, been in abusive relationships or simply have issues with focus and decision-making. No two days are the same for trainees at the LSV Company, and the programme varies between classroom-based learning and outdoor physical activities such as a 50 km tramp, river crossings, rafting and marching. The LSV instructors work hard to maintain a positive environment and guest speakers come in to give advice on things like tenancy rights, dress and grooming, budgeting, employment, and drug abuse. This scheme has been very successful I might add! [/I] Sounds like a very good scheme Colin, but given the fuss the extreme left in this country are making abouta paltry six week trainingcourse to try and help young people into work, could you imagine the outcry if such a scheme was adopted or, even proposed, you would also have an army of Human Rights lawyers queuing up, and a closet liberal government, which currently run this country running scared. I think it would be safe to say, it would never happen.
Ros Comain. 29 February 2012 22:18
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: thomas fleming Michael I may seem a little doubtful of all people who have "made it",in life as achievers  and help out the youth of today to "get on in life"but  rumour has it that wonderful super-store American firm ASDA are taking work experience youngsters on for free (Dole paid only) and are reducing the hours the part-time staff are on. Coincidental or what????? Signed Mr Angry Merseyside. I am sure Thomas that there are many succesful people, not all, who do a lot to try and help youngsters get on the career ladder, once there of course, it is up to the individual to progress, by taking advantage of the relevent training schemes, further education etc. On the question of Asda, if they are getting some training, and are collecting their jobs seekers, surely that is better than them sitting at home doing nothing. The rumour you have heard regarding reducing the hours for part time staff, is it a fact, or is it something you choose to believe
Nobby 29 February 2012 23:36
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Michael Potter Sounds like a very good scheme Colin, but given the fuss the extreme left in this country are making abouta paltry six week trainingcourse to try and help young people into work, could you imagine the outcry if such a scheme was adopted or, even proposed,  you would also have an army of Human Rights lawyers queuing up, and a closet liberal government, which currently run this country  running scared.   I think it would be safe to say, it would never happen. These volunteers are often people who have absolutely no self discipline, and for them to organise themselves to get out of bed in the morning has hitherto been beyond them. The course has been largely successful in that they get a certificate to say what theyve achieved, and employers like the idea. NZ is far to pragmatic to worry about why it wouldnt work in the UK, and simply get on with doing it.
John (Scouse) Hirons 01 March 2012 02:01
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Michael Potter Sounds like a very good scheme Colin, but given the fuss the extreme left in this country are making abouta paltry six week trainingcourse to try and help young people into work, could you imagine the outcry if such a scheme was adopted or, even proposed,  you would also have an army of Human Rights lawyers queuing up, and a closet liberal government, which currently run this country  running scared.   I think it would be safe to say, it would never happen.   Alright Micheal, I can't believe that even you believe what you have posted. You call forcing kids to work for nothing for 30 hours a week for 8 weeks 'help' & having their dole stopped if they refuse this 'help' (yes the DOE now admit that that is true) if for any reason they fail to complete their 8 weeks once again their dole is stopped. They also have to pay for their own transport & any food they need. How do I know? simple my grandson, who has 3 'A' levels is currently on one of these schemes & he spends all day stacking shelves now that should help him find work, he would be in university except we can't afford the £9 grand plus all the extras this government want only English students to pay. Most thinking people (including Tescos, Poundland & Burger king who have pulled out of the scheme when they found out how it was being run) didn't agree with you, they think it's slavery (if in doubt look up the word you'll be surprised).   There could be merits in the scheme run in KIWI a modified form of which could well work here in place of ASBO's & community orders.   Last edited by John (scouse) Hirons
..... 01 March 2012 12:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
If it had not been compulsory i am sure no young men would have gone any where near the Armed Forces ( Yes i know we all were better for it and would not have missed it, but thats another scenario) So the same today,no young man is going to volunteer to be roused at 0530 and chased , shouted at and harried on a daily basis, Would you??. Whilst i dont doubt what Colin says that it works down in N.Z. young people are the same the world over and unless it is the Law the first time something happens not to their liking they will be off. When i was nearing call up time i had lots of friends and aquaintances all around my age and they were called up for the 3 services and i know non of them would have gone near if there had been a choice.
Nobby 01 March 2012 21:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: john daly If it had not been compulsory i am sure no young men would have gone any where near the Armed Forces ( Yes i know  we all were better for it and would not have missed it, but thats another scenario) So the same today,no young man is going to volunteer to be roused at 0530 and chased , shouted at and harried on a daily basis, Would you??. Whilst i don't doubt what Colin says that it works down in N.Z. young people are the same the world over and unless it is the Law the first time something happens not to their liking they will be off. When i was nearing call up time i had lots of friends and aquaintances all around my age and they were called up for the 3 services and i know non of them would have gone near if there had been a choice. Thats not how it works JD! The people attending these courses are volunteers, in that they have no legal obligation to be there at all. Contrary to the generally accepted view that they will leave at the first sign of adversity, and they can, from what I read there have been very few examples of that happening. Perhaps, having finally been given a reason to get out of bed, they actually like it!
Ros Comain. 01 March 2012 23:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John (scouse) Hirons Alright Micheal, I can't believe that even you believe what you have posted. You call forcing kids to work for nothing for 30 hours a week for 8 weeks 'help' & having their dole stopped if they refuse this 'help' (yes the DOE now admit that that is true) if for any reason they fail to complete their 8 weeks once again their dole is stopped. They also have to pay for their own transport & any food they need. How do I know? simple my grandson, who has 3 'A' levels is currently on one of these schemes & he spends all day stacking shelves now that should help him find work, he would be in university except we can't afford the £9 grand plus all the extras this government want only English students to pay.    Most thinking people (including Tescos, Poundland & Burger king who have pulled out of the scheme when they found out how it was being run) didn't agree with you, they think it's slavery (if in doubt look up the word you'll be surprised).   There could be merits in the scheme run in KIWI a modified form of which could well work here in place of ASBO's & community orders.   Last edited by John (scouse) Hirons I am quite comfortable Scouse with young people undertaking 8 weeks work experience, under the emotive description which you outline in your post. I believe your grandson is doing the right thing, as this will give him an introduction to the working enviroment, it will also no doubt help his self confidence and give him a routine, that may ultimately secure him employment. The main complaint from young people applying for jobs is, that because they have had no experience they cannot get a job, well this give them the opportunity to gain some experience. Taking your point regarding the Companies, they pulled out because they did not want Rent a Mob from the extreme left, parked on their doorstep disrupting business, not because they felt in your terms it was Slavery.
John (Scouse) Hirons 02 March 2012 00:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Michael Potter I am quite comfortable Scouse with young people undertaking  8 weeks work experience, under the emotive description which you outline in your post. I believe your grandson is doing the right thing, as this will give him an introduction to the working enviroment,  it will also no doubt help his self confidence and give him a routine, that may ultimately secure him employment. The main complaint from young people applying for jobs is, that because they have had no experience they cannot get a job, well this give them the opportunity to gain some experience. Taking your point regarding the Companies, they pulled out because they did not want Rent a Mob from the extreme left, parked on their doorstep disrupting business, not because they felt in your terms it was Slavery.   Alright Michael, That was not an "emotive" description it was a statement of fact. Tescos have gone on record as saying that they werent aware of the coercion of the threats used to man the scheme, they withdrew from it & have started to pay those kids they have taken on during their time with it. As for helping my Grandson nothing could be further from the truth. On his first day he was told there was absolutely no chance of him getting a job with them...hes over qualified. If the Government want to help him & thousands like him into work they should scrape this slave labour scheme, which according to their own figures (if you can believe any figure they come up with) only has a 40% success rate & re-introduce the last Governments Future Employment fund that had a 60% success rate, since the current administration scrapped the Future Jobs Fund long term youth unemployment has risen by 77%. If they really want to help & not just play at it, their real aim being to save money & keep the working class in their place, they should rescind the £9 grand a term levy placed on students from England, Students from any EU country, Scotland & Wales can come here to our unis & only have to pay £3 grand but if an English student goes to a Scots uni it costs him/her £9 grand while the Scots & EU members get it for free. The reason my Grandson & thousands like him are on this iniquitous dead end free labour scheme is lack of money, he should be at uni but we simply cant afford to send him there.
Spud 02 March 2012 09:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall That's not how it works JD! The people attending these courses are volunteers, in that they have no legal obligation to be there at all. Contrary to the generally accepted view that they will leave at the first sign of adversity, and they can, from what I read there have been very few examples of that happening. Perhaps, having finally been given a reason to get out of bed, they actually like it! Burnham Military Camp is close to where I work and sometimes I see the LSVs strutting their stuff. One of the benefits of the course is that it takes those that have useless lifestyle beneficiary parents away from it all for a few weeks. For a few this is the first time in their lives where authority figures treat them with respect and they learn that a better alternative way of life exists. I recall seeing the UK Bad Lads Army on tv, I assume some of it is choreographed and dramatised but at the passing out parades you can see the pride beaming all over their faces, like theyve pushed themselves further than ever before and achieved something.