{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / RAF Henesford.

RAF Henesford.

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Peter Ormandy 10 February 2012 21:26 724 views Link  
Peter Ormandy 10 February 2012 21:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
RAF Henesford.

Does anyone remember doing their square bashing at Henesford. I remember arriving late in the day from Cardington, being met by yelling DIs, line up for jabs, our first kit layout, and that was just the first evening. My drill instructor was Cpl. Golding. As long as you did as you were told within a reasonable time, life was good. Who would mind being called A DIRTY MICROBE", plus other claims regarding dubious parentage. Never did amaze me how our DI would kick the door to our billet open at 6.30 every morning, and be standing there as though he had just stepped out of a hat box, imaculate from head to foot, rush from one end of the billet screaming all kinds of threats, as we all tumbled out of bed to begin yet another day. The freezing cold outside washrooms,certainly woke you up. Thinking back, life was good in 1953.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Edward (Borneo Veteran) 11 February 2012 11:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
R A F Hednesford

Ive lived here all my life just a mile or so away from the chase and youll be pleased to know that part of the camp is still there and also Kitbag Hill also the Takeroo pub.
Bomber 11 February 2012 15:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
We were transfered from 5PDC Burtonwood to Hednesford in 1948 the whole camp, of course we were on permanent staff and our billets were situated around the NAAFI which overlooked the sick quarters. We always had piping hot water and the food was the best I ever had in the RAF all due to the administrations of Sgt Smith in charge of the cookhouse. We were responsible for collecting bods and officers from both railway stations in Rugeley. Then they were billeted at the other end of the camp near to the Astra cinema, they were then posted to different parts of the country and some of them were de-mobbed from there. I was posted from there to M.B. Seletar in Singapore in September 1949. I was there until I was de-mobbed in 1952. But I know full well what the stinking D.Is got up to we had them at Wilmslow and they were afraid to go into town when we passed out because we were waiting for them to show up, they would even pinch your fag ration from out of the lockers no matter where you hid them and if you complained they would make your life even more of a hell by making you clean your shoes three or four times, carry mud on their shoes into the billet and make you bumper the floors again and again, yes we would certainly rearange their faces if we caught them outside the camp. 5 P.D.C. was a good camp and I live exactly one mile from the bottom of Kit Bag Hil but being in my 85th year I find it difficult to climb even without full kit, however they were happy days.l
..... 18 February 2012 11:07
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Peter Ormandy Does anyone remember doing their square bashing at Henesford. I remember arriving late in the day from Cardington, being met by yelling DIs, line up for jabs, our first kit layout, and that was just the first  evening. My drill instructor was Cpl. Golding. As long as you did as you were told within a reasonable time, life was good. Who would mind being called ' A DIRTY MICROBE", plus other claims regarding dubious parentage. Never did amaze me how our DI would kick the door to our billet open at  6.30 every morning, and be standing there as though he had just stepped out of a hat box, imaculate from head to foot, rush from one end of the billet screaming all kinds of threats, as we all tumbled out of bed to begin yet another day. The freezing cold outside washrooms,certainly woke you up. Thinking back, life was good in 1953. Peter. In the early 50s. i was Square bashing at Bridgenorth and like you i was amazed that at 06.30 the D.I.s would come in the Billet dressed like an advert for the RAF. As they were hitting the steel bedsteads with heavy sticks and screaming we did not have time to to take in their Sartorial Elegance. Washing and shaving in Ice cold water and running round all day like blue ar.ed flies. Wish it was tomorrow...................... Regards J.D.