{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Malicious URLs

Malicious URLs

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Ceylon220 7 February 2012 21:24 1772 views Link  
Ceylon220 7 February 2012 21:24
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Malicious URLs

Keep getting these pop ups "Malicious URL" and been told that Avast has blocked it--what are IRLs and can they harm my laptop. Dave.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Murray Whyte 7 February 2012 23:18
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
It is as its title suggests. A "Malicious URL" is a URL created with malicious purposes like downloading worms or other malicious software. The URL itself may not be malicious but rather an image or other link within the site you are visiting.
Veni, Vermini, Vomui 8 February 2012 13:51
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hi Dave

A technical answer..... In computing, a uniform resource locator or universal resource locator (URL) is a specific character string that constitutes a reference to an Internet resource. A URL is technically a type of uniform resource identifier (URI) but in many technical documents and verbal discussions URL is often used as a synonym for URI. The Uniform Resource Locator was created in 1994 by Tim Berners-Lee and the URI working group of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as an outcome of collaboration started at the IETF Living Documents "Birds of a Feather" session in 1992. The format combines the pre-existing system of domain names (created in 1985) with file path syntax, where forward slashes are used to separate folder and file names. Conventions already existed where server names could be prepended to complete file paths, preceded by a double-slash (//). To simplify..a URL is the web address that you see or type in your browser address bar. So what is happening is that something you clicked, or downloaded, is trying to open a web page without your help. The URL (Web Page) itself will not be dangerous per se, but links within the web pages could be dangerous in that they can download malicious matter to you computer.   Avast is doing its job, although, like all anti-malware programmes, it can occasionally be over enthusiastic! Carl Last edited by Carl Graffham
Ceylon220 9 February 2012 11:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Thanks Murray & Carl for your explaining about URLs they seem to have appeared when going onto Face Book after getting a message from Canada.thought maybe they were sending in a virus to my laptop. Regards Dave
Murray Whyte 9 February 2012 12:18
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Dave Whitfield Thanks Murray & Carl for your explaining about URLs they seem to have appeared when going onto Face Book after getting a message from Canada.thought maybe they were sending in a virus to my laptop. Regards Dave What is your main browser (firefox, internet explorer etc)?
Ceylon220 9 February 2012 13:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Murray Whyte What is your main browser (firefox, internet explorer etc)? ----------- Google chrome/Internet Explorer. Does these make a difference to getting URLs Murray? I hate it when we get these warnings,everything has been great until this appeared and it makes me wonder if any of my files etc have been effected with it.
Bob (Tuffy ) Draper 9 February 2012 14:14
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Dave Whitfield ----------- Google chrome/Internet Explorer. Does these make a difference to getting URLs Murray? I hate it when we get these warnings,everything has been great until this appeared and it makes me wonder if any of my files etc have been effected with it. Hi Dave, It is the avast software you are using, since they updated, their software has started reporting certain good urls as being malicious, go to their forums and tell them which you are having trouble with
Ceylon220 9 February 2012 14:29
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Bob Draper Hi Dave, It is the avast software you are using, since they updated, their software has started reporting certain good url's as being malicious, go to their forums and tell them which you are having trouble with' Thanks Bob will give it a try and see how we go from there.
Veni, Vermini, Vomui 9 February 2012 19:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Bob

Hi friend, long time no chat. Thanks for that comment. I use Avast and, as far as I can tell, I have no problems. To date Avast has not advised me of any malicious URLs which doesnt mean a lot, but makes me wonder whether the reporting is genuine in Daves case. Maybe folk who comment on these types of warnings could actually help by quoting the URL itself. Carl
Ceylon220 9 February 2012 23:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Carl could be right, when I click in to Google Chrome/Int Explorer I get the sign saying that my wireless network connection is BT Hub etc yet I only have the one connection which when I go onto it it automatically goes to this BT Hub and further to this when I go and look at my Router the Internet light is showing RED(not green when connected) yet it lets me into the web site. Ihave played around with it and now the BT Hub wireless connection has gone and I am back to my own named connection and the Router Internet light is back to green----this is beginning to get me worried, do you think that someone in my area has managed to get into my connections. My Router is a WIRELESS ADSL  D Link                 NOT A  BT HUB  ????????????????????? Any advise would be most welcome. Ps.  Hope this makes sense because I`m bewildered by it.   Last edited by Dave Whitfield Last edited by Dave Whitfield
Veni, Vermini, Vomui 10 February 2012 12:06
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Dave

I have a couple of comments here....hopefully others can either confirm them, or come up with other suggestions. Firstly...have a look at your wireless connection set up....have you got it set to connect to any available connection? If so your wireless modem may find it easier to connect to someone elses router, especially if the other router is not secure (with a wappsk type encryption for instance.) Secondly is your own router encrypted. I have a 29 character passkey on my router. It is made up of upper and lower case letters, some numbers, and some characters such as $ and ^ and ( et cetera. With such a key it would take very sophisticated software to break the passkey code easily. Carl
Ceylon220 11 February 2012 10:19
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Some very helpful comments there Carl, checked everything that you have mentioned wireless set up to my own connection and router is encrypted and protected, every thing in place (security enabled wireless network showing my name only)------Checked again my Avast and this reports no virus etc, yet still getting this Malicious URL (194.127.97.95/Banner 589595004 whatever these mean). Anyway thanks again all of you lads for your help, always open for suggestions. Regards Dave
Murray Whyte 11 February 2012 14:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Dave Whitfield Some very helpful comments there Carl, checked everything that you have mentioned wireless set up to my own connection and router is encrypted and protected, every thing in place (security enabled wireless network showing my name only)------Checked again my Avast and this reports no virus etc, yet still getting this Malicious URL (194.127.97.95/Banner 589595004 whatever these mean). Anyway thanks again all of you lads for your help, always open for suggestions. Regards Dave Dave, As far as I can determine, the IP address 194.127.97.95 belongs to Vereinigte Motor-Verlage GmbH, Stuttgart and it points to their website banner. This is a music company that you can download songs and CDs from. Try this and see if it produces any results. Click on Start button and put 194.127.97.95 into the search box and see if anything appears. If it does then right click on it and click on Properties. This will give you the location of the file. I was using Avast for a few years but found that I also had to use Malware software as well. Download and install Malware bytes (malwarebytes.org) and run a scan. Another good programme is Super anti spyware (superantispyware.com) - use the free version. My current systems are protected by Microsoft Security Essentials and so far so good.
Murray Whyte 11 February 2012 15:04
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Dave Whitfield ----------- Google chrome/Internet Explorer. Does these make a difference to getting URLs Murray? I hate it when we get these warnings,everything has been great until this appeared and it makes me wonder if any of my files etc have been effected with it. Dave, IE has a pop-up blocker. Make sure it is enabled. On Chrome, click on the spanner followed by tools then extensions. Search for Adblock and Adblock plus. Install both and ads are yesterdays news.. These should help by keeping some ads away from the PC. Hope this helps
Ceylon220 11 February 2012 21:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Again thanks for your help lads, I`ve checked the IP number and it throws up 3 areas--- HP Inks,Nissan Altima, Tacoma Box---the ink one is the only one that I have used,never heard of the others, anyway we will just pedal on and see if we have cracked it with your advice. Dave