{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Royal Artilliery 3239

Royal Artilliery 3239

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Gillian Wiles 6 February 2012 22:27 951 views Link  
Gillian Wiles 6 February 2012 22:27
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Royal Artilliery 3239

On my Gr Grandfathers military papers it has the above number, I understand that this is the Regiments number. I know that it was not my Gr Grandfathers number. I have tried to find information to help me better know him. I know that he served in Canada and India and was also in Ireland for a short while. If anyone could shed any light on his regiment I would be really grateful.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Mac 7 February 2012 00:11
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Gillian Wiles On my Gr Grandfathers military papers it has the above number, I understand that this is the Regiments number.  I know that it was not my Gr Grandfather's number.  I have tried to find information to help me better know him.  I know that he served in Canada and India and was also in Ireland for a short while.  If anyone could shed any light on his regiment I would be really grateful. Gillian. What are the dates of your GGfs military service and what other number do you have for him since you know that 3239 is not his number? So that advice can be given post his name, age, date of birth, place of birth, where lived .....info from his military papers etc. Do you have his enlistment record? Can you post images of his Military papers on here? Help will be given but more details are needed.
Murray Whyte 7 February 2012 00:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Gillian, If your GrGF served prior to 1920 then it is a possibility that his number could be 3239. Prior to 1920 each regiment had its own system of regimental numbers (each starting at 1). If a soldier transferred to another regiment he got a new number. Last edited by Murray Whyte
Gillian Wiles 7 February 2012 11:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Great Grandad Jonas Reece

According to his papers his number was 2606. He enlisted in Feb 1858 and was a driver in the Field Batteries. It says that he joined Her Magestys Royal Artillery. In 1859 he transferred to the 4th Brigade again as a driver. By 1864 hed reached the rank of Sergeant. His first period of enlistment ended in 1867 and he re-engaged, I believe he was in Canada at the time. He served in Canada for 7 1/2 yrs and India for nearly 2 yrs. In 1872 he transferred to the 16th Brigade and was assigned as the Batterie Quarter Master Sergeant. In 1875 he was transferred to the 24th Brigade and promoted to Brigade Quarter Master Sergeant. In 1877 the 24th became the 5th Brigade and then in 1878 he transferred to the 2nd Brigade. He was discharged in Sept 1879. During his time in the army he was awarded a Good Conduct Medal as well as good conduct badges, a 2nd class school certificate and the Canadian General Service Medal with Clasps "Fenian Raid 1866". In all he served for just over 21 yrs 1/2 yrs.
Sigs 7 February 2012 17:04
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
royal artillery 3239 .

Hi Gillian . On his good conduct medal it would have his own service number and it could 3239 I have my grandads medals and they have only 4 numbers on them along with his rank ,Now as for other titles most regts were know as brigades in those days . regards geoge woolley ex GUNNER `1951-59 22615509 ,48 fld Regt RA
Sigs 7 February 2012 17:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: george woolley Hi Gillian . On his good conduct medal it would have his own service number and it could 3239 I have my grandads medals and they have only 4 numbers on them along with his rank ,Now as for other titles most regts were know as brigades in those days . regards geoge woolley ex GUNNER `1951-59 22615509 ,48 fld Regt RA As a proof of my last statement this is the start of my Regts History .1900,23 Jan it reads ,|Lt Col.F,L,Cunnliffe 23 Jan leeds 95 bty 96 bty ,87 Bty,xix Bde Div RFA, no such name as regt yet I did serve in 95 BTy many years late . I have the full history my regiment and good reading it is
Mac 7 February 2012 20:31
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Gillian. His Attestation has his number as 2606 as you rightly said.  His discharge also has it a 2606. His Regiment in 1858 and throughout (until 1879)was Royal Regiment of Artillery. I would suggest the "Artillery 3239" is clerical and possibly  a file number for  the "destination" of the paperwork after it leaves the board in Sheffield. I have found also that the Regimental number 3239 was issued to a Sergeant Walter James Hamilton who on Attestation in 1869  was 37 years and 10 month old. Search for British Regiments in Canada 1860s and the Fenian Uprising of 1866 in Canada/USA and you should get an idea what was going on in your GGf's time. Lots of info out there!! Point of interest on the breakdown of his service...in th RH margin it says "Leap year Added.....further Leap Year cash out!! Hope this helps. Good luck. Last edited by Ray McWilliams