{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / merchant navy

merchant navy

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Walter Removed 2 February 2012 21:42 1911 views Link  
Walter Removed 2 February 2012 21:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
merchant navy

how do i go about finding merchant navy records for my grandfather? I cant find anythin on this site relating to the merchant navy so im baffled thanks
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Old Sweat (Puddle Jumper) 2 February 2012 21:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Walter.When you find out let me know as I have lost my Merchant Navy Discharge Book.
Walter Removed 2 February 2012 22:02
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
merchant navy

i managed to find my fathers papers etc on national archives site but just cant find my grandfathers for some reason....... its really frustrating me now
Murray Whyte 3 February 2012 00:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
National Archives, Ancestry, Find My Past and the National Martime Museum so a research guide. Google: Research guide C13: The Merchant Navy
Old Sweat (Puddle Jumper) 3 February 2012 11:10
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
MN Record

Each time I tried those sites Murray I kept getting the same answer No Records to be Found Maybe if I were to subscribe money wise my records will suddenly appear?
Mac 3 February 2012 11:51
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Gordon H Smith Each time I tried those sites Murray I kept getting the same answer 'No Records to be Found' Maybe if I were to subscribe money wise my records will suddenly appear? Gordon. Most sites are free to search, but pay to view the record. Post details and let members try and help you. You have nothing to lose by doing that.
Jock 3 February 2012 12:29
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Gentlemen, If you go to www.shipsnostalgia.com Registering is easy, and ask your questions, you will get advice.
Ceylon220 3 February 2012 15:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Len Inglis Gentlemen,                  If you go to www.shipsnostalgia.com Registering is easy, and ask your questions, you will get advice. It takes a couple of ex Royal Navy men to show to show the Red Duster crews the way. Ship nostalgia is the best site on the web,open to all MN,RN,YACHTS MEN and even the weekend sailors,any info on all these services you will no doubt find here--just tell them Len and Dave sent you--we might even get a bottle of rum for showing you the way Cheers Len. Up spirits!!!!!!
Ceylon220 3 February 2012 15:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Sorry Len, After reading your profile And see that you served both sides of the fence--I bow down to your experience,I only served in the RN for 20 years plus 10 in the Navy Reserve.
Murray Whyte 3 February 2012 15:55
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Can someone please enlighten me. What has Ships Nostalgia sites got to do with Merchant Navy Records?
Jock 3 February 2012 16:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Dave I agree with you, if one wants to find out anything about the MN, that is the site to join. Have been a member for many years and costs nothing.
Jock 3 February 2012 16:14
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Another very good site www.merchant-navy.net also free.
Ceylon220 3 February 2012 23:27
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Murray Whyte Can someone please enlighten me.  What has Ships Nostalgia sites got to do with Merchant Navy Records? Murray if there is anything you or anyone else wants to know about shipping/records of crews/or finding old shipmates then Ship nostalgia is the site to go for. Royal Navy /Merchant Navy records someone will always point you in the right direction, ok
Murray Whyte 3 February 2012 23:51
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Dave Whitfield Murray if there is anything you or anyone else wants to know about shipping/records of crews/or finding old shipmates then Ship nostalgia is the site to go for. Royal Navy /Merchant Navy records someone will always point you in the right direction, ok Dave, As per my first post on this topic. National Archives, Ancestry, Find My Past and the National Martime Museum so a research guide. Google: Research guide C13: The Merchant Navy I would have pointed Walter to the correct section at the NA but no dates of service were given. In all probability, the sites you and others mentioned would have given the same information as Ray and myself have mentioned. I spent 4 years in the Merchant Navy prior to joining the Army. I even went down with a ship when it was tied up alongside in Kwinana. Same year as they landed on the moon