{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / More cutbacks for the Armed Forces

More cutbacks for the Armed Forces

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Fr Admin 19 January 2012 09:28 2559 views Link  
Fr Admin 19 January 2012 09:28
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
More cutbacks for the Armed Forces

THE Army yesterday suffered its biggest manpower cull in decades - with 2,900 soldiers getting the chop.

They are among 4,200 members of the Armed Forces to be axed in a bid to plug the £38billion black hole in the defence budget.

About 1,500 of the soldiers are veterans of Afghanistan. And 400 Gurkhas - including some who served there alongside Prince Harry in 2008 - will get their marching orders.

All ranks are hit - from 500 infantry privates with at least six years service to eight brigadiers and 60 lieutenant colonels.

The Sun can reveal that those for the sack include up to six Household Cavalry majors and 41 captains as well as four majors and 27 captains of the Royal Engineers. The Royal Corps of Signals must lose about 35 majors, 23 captains and hundreds of lower ranks.

The latest - and most ruthless - cuts will also devastate the Royal Air Force, Royal Navy and, for the first time, the Royal Marines.

The RAF is to lose 1,000 personnel including 15 air commodores, 30 group captains, up to 40 wing commanders and 115 squadron leaders and 95 PT instructors.

About 300 losses in the ROYAL NAVY include five commodores, 17 captains and 37 medics plus 80 from the Fleet Air Arm.

The ROYAL MARINES will have 19 brigadiers, lieutenant colonels and colonels chopped.

The savage cuts are the most significant since the 2010 Strategic Defence and Security Review first announced massive job losses.

The MoD has sent more than 14,000 notices to personnel offering voluntary redundancy. But it is thought there will be compulsory pay-offs.

It is also understood that hundreds of soldiers who signed up for 12 years will not have their contracts renewed.

Recruitment is being drastically cut - with the number of soldiers entering service slashed from 7,000 to 5,000.

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said yesterday that the Government HAD to wield the axe - but said the military will remain "agile".

He said: "Difficult decisions had to be taken to deal with the vast black hole in the MoD budget.

"As we continue with the redundancy process, we will ensure we retain the capabilities that our forces will require."

Under the SDSR, the Navy and RAF must cut 5,000 jobs each by 2015, the Army 7,000 and the MoD 25,000 civilian staff.

The army needs to reduce its total fighting force from around 100,000 to 82,000 by 2020.

Shadow Defence Secretary Jim Murphy said: "The most important baseline is national security and we worry these cuts are wrong-headed and rushed."

Campaigners also hit out at cuts to the Gurkhas, who will now lose about one in eight of their 3,400-strong brigade - equivalent to almost a full battalion. Actress Joanna Lumley called the cuts "a tragedy".
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Old Sweat (Puddle Jumper) 19 January 2012 21:41
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
So! Perhaps the Government could be so kind as to inform us just what these redundant ex service people will do for a living? Ah yes I forgot THE DOLE!!
John (Scouse) Hirons 20 January 2012 02:13
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
To make cuts to the Armed Forces is arrant stupidity, to cut the Armed forces when the countries fighting a war is criminal.
Alan Arkless 26 January 2012 20:23
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
forces  cuts

What I really think of Cameron and the forces minister is unprintable, the two of them are both pillocks, to put it politely. What happens if the Argentine starts up again, we have no aircraft carrier, no harriers. No doubt they didn't think off that at the time.Some off the R.A.F. Air Sea Rescue are being closed including R.A.F. Boulmer about 20 miles from my home. I see them almost every day going to Newcastle airport. I will miss seeing them coming over my house. Almost worst still  is, the one's staying open are rumoured to be going to the FRENCH!! of all people. Just what are they thinking off? I wonder what the audience in the Help for Heroes on TV were thinking to themselves when Cameron was praising them and at the same time playing the dirty on them, I think I know. It's a wonder he sleeps at night. BUFFOON. Last edited by alan arkless Last edited by alan arkless
..... 26 January 2012 20:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Strange with all these cutbacks that the M.O.D. are running adverts on T.V. for people to join the R.A.F. and Army Reserve. First tiime i have seen them recruiting for a long time.
..... 26 January 2012 20:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: alan arkless What I really think of Cameron and the forces minister is unprintable, the two of them are both pillocks, to put it politely. What happens if the Argentine starts up again, we have no aircraft carrier, no harriers. No doubt they didn't think off that at the time. Buffoons! Dont worry Alan, we still have Sgt. Jones and Pike.
Margaret 26 January 2012 22:09
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
More cut backs for the armed forces

Quoting: john daly Dont worry Alan, we still have Sgt. Jones and Pike. Or Man city could offer them Carlos Tevez!!!!
Old Sweat (Puddle Jumper) 26 January 2012 22:31
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Margaret Turner Or Man city could offer them Carlos Tevez!!!! Tevez being Argentinian who would he fight for?his Country,his money or his fancy woman?
Margaret 27 January 2012 14:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
More cut backs for the armed forces

Quoting: Gordon H Smith Tevez being Argentinian who would he fight for?his Country,his money or his fancy woman? Gordon my guess would be money then fancy woman,then maybe his country !!! if they paid him enough that is!!
Hells Last Issue 30 January 2012 18:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Armed forces cuts

We should invite Mr Cameron to look at the History of the cuts in the Armed forces especialy around 1930 and onward, my my didn`t we get caught out then. However in saying that the British armed services are thier own worst enemy, no matter how hard the cuts no matter the equipment we do not get or have no matter the total lack of respect within the political establishment of the country our boys and girls always achieve in the face goals set for them by the government regardless of the difficulties facing them and the government take full advantage. The armed services of our little ilsand are the best of the best, the finest we have to offer ,unfortunately they have political masters who are the worst of the worst and always will be.
Hells Last Issue 30 January 2012 18:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Paterson McManus We should invite Mr Cameron to look at the History of the cuts in the Armed forces especialy around 1930 and onward, my my didn`t we get caught out then. However in saying that the British armed services are thier own worst enemy, no matter how hard the cuts no matter the equipment we do not get or have no matter the total lack of respect within the political establishment of the country our boys and girls always achieve in the face goals set for them by the government regardless of the difficulties facing them and the government take full advantage. The armed services of our little ilsand are the best of the best, the finest we have to offer ,unfortunately they have political masters who are the worst of the worst and always will be. sorry about the spelling ,have gone mad and found myself praising a marine help.
Hells Last Issue 30 January 2012 18:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Margaret Turner Or Man city could offer them Carlos Tevez!!!! Hell just give them ManCity no great loss.
..... 30 January 2012 20:02
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
On my local West country news there is great jubilation at the site of my old RAf. Station Filton Bristol where a Company has won a £483 million contract to supply the Royal Navy with the new Sea Ceptor. This is a missile that travels at supersonic speeds. I am just wondering what will the Navy launch them from the way the cuts are going. Maybe thats why they are going to sink the Ark Royal in Torbay, Devon Harbour to launch em from there.
&Quot;Evil Ernie&Quot; 31 January 2012 12:01
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Not all cuts are bad news!!!

We have been carrying a large number of senior officers in all branches of the armed forces that are not "fit for purpose". The track record of some of these people has been woeful, bordering on the incompetent. It will be good to see them go and new up to date switched on commanders coming through. Much of the perceived MOD lack of support has come from these people and their relevant advice or departments. Any modern industry would have appraised and removed such appalling performances of duty. Perhaps the "man on the ground" can now be supported shoulder to shoulder and not just from behind. The civilian job market is only harrowing for those who demand respect, rather than earn it!!
Old Sweat (Puddle Jumper) 31 January 2012 14:24
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Peter Reeve We have been carrying a large number of senior officers in all branches of the armed forces that are not "fit for purpose".  The track record of some of these people has been woeful, bordering on the incompetent.  It will be good to see them go and new up to date switched on commanders coming through.  Much of the perceived MOD lack of support has come from these people and their relevant advice or departments. Any modern industry would have appraised and removed such appalling performances of duty. Perhaps the "man on the ground" can now be supported shoulder to shoulder and not just from behind.  The civilian job market is only harrowing for those who demand respect, rather than earn it!! The problem is Peter "The Man on the Ground" is taking the hardest and deepest cuts.
Chad 1 February 2012 12:10
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Oh dear & then there were none

[QUOTE]Quoting: john daly[/B] [I] Dont worry Alan, we still have Sgt. Jones and Pike. [/I][/QUOTE]
Iain Shore 1 February 2012 12:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Worry not.... there are plenty of Flag Officers and Generals in the MoD in London to cover all the jobs which need to be done....... not hearing much about cuts to those????? Strange how Forces numbers have contracted to such a degree, but we have more Senior Officers than ever before..........