{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Chuff charts

Chuff charts

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Jeanniec 18 January 2012 19:41 18614 views Link  
Jeanniec 18 January 2012 19:41
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Chuff charts

I am trying to find a chuff chart to download - rather than have to do it myself! Hubby is retiring in April and I want to do a chuff chart for him. Never having been in the Forces he has never seen one, never heard of one, same as his work colleagues. Does anyone know of a site where I can find one? I found one site but it only goes up to 2011!!! Otherwise its back to doing it myself. I dont know how to do spreadsheets or forms in Word.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Mike Pass 18 January 2012 20:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmm!!!!

To be honest, Jean, I obviously remember doing these by hand and cant help thinking that it would be more personal that way. I have no problem computer wise but if I wanted a chuff chart for any reason I would rather get the paper and markers out!!!! Your choice though, of course. I think you may struggle to find one online but hopefully I will be proved wrong. Good luck!
Jeanniec 18 January 2012 20:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Chuff charts

But writing from 1 to 99 would be a bit of a bind! Doesnt matter about it being personal but I think I am going to have to do it the long way. Ugh...............
Nobby 18 January 2012 20:44
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I doubt very much if youll find anything relevant: all the ones I ever saw were hand done! If you start now youll have it done by April...easily!
Cave Adsum 18 January 2012 23:07
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
chuff charts

If you have Microsoft Excel, you will have ready made charts of all sorts, ready to play with.
Mike Pass 19 January 2012 07:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Quoting: Jean Crossley But writing from 1 to 99 would be a bit of a bind!   Doesn't matter about it being personal but I think I am going to have to do it the long way.  Ugh............... Whats happening to people today??? When I landed in Bahrain in Jan 71 the first thing I did after Arrivals was my chart for 364 days!!!! Come along Jean...gird yourself!!!!....
Murray Whyte 19 January 2012 17:28
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
There are xls Chuff Chart templates online. There are also Countdown Calendars. Look at Chuffchart.com and also google countdown calendar 1.12
Terry Carey 20 January 2012 17:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Chuff charts

Erm, what on earth is a chuff chart? Ive heard of a certain part of human anatomy referred to as a chuff so my mind is boggling. Ill refrain from mentioning to which gender it refers. My first day in khaki a lad in the hut said Well thats one gone. Only another 729 to go. When I asked what he was on about he showed me a chart hed stuck onto the inside of the door of his locker. It was marked out in squares and numbered from 1 to 730 AND 730 to 1 in the squares which were bisected diagonally for the ascending and descending numbering. That was certainly a labour but of what I am not sure. Too much trouble as far as I was concerned. TC.
Nobby 20 January 2012 19:27
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I must confess Ive never understood why members of an armed service , which they joined voluntarily under conditions which might have them serve overseas in sandpits or wherever, planned for going home the minute they got there! At 912 days I would have need a large wall to hang it on, not the inside of my locker! There is a national movement of sympathy today for people serving overseas, and stories of sweaty service men and women "looking forward to going home". After six months? Even in a war zone you surely knew that when you took the Queens shilling? Surely thats their reason for joining? If , when I joined up, I hadnt got an overseas posting, I would have been cheesed off beyond belief! As it was, my first posting was overseas, to Nairobi, for two and a half years: no phone calls home, no internet..... never had a chuff chart and that two and a half years ended all too soon. I would have quite happily stayed on! I once helped an old fella here in NZ get his UK medals replaced, and he told me that hed gone overseas in 1941 and didnt get home until 1946! I bet he didnt have a chart!
Mike Pass 20 January 2012 19:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

A bit anal there, Colin! The charts (DTD-Days to do or Grip sheet in the RAF) were just a bit of fun and as I recall, were generally only used for an airmans first, unaccompanied overseas tour. Most of these were chosen to beat into said erk the fact that life is not a bowl of cherries. That said, all of those tours, Gan, Bahrain, Sharjah, Masirah etc could all be turned into one big holiday with the diversion of the odd bit of work every so often. I do not remember anyone making a chart because they were so angry about being there!!
Nobby 20 January 2012 22:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Mike Pass A bit anal there, Colin! The charts (DTD-Days to do or Grip sheet in the RAF) were just a bit of fun and as I recall, were generally only used for an airman's first, unaccompanied overseas tour. Most of these were chosen to 'beat' into said erk the fact that life is not a bowl of cherries. That said, all of those tours, Gan, Bahrain, Sharjah, Masirah etc could all be turned into one big holiday with the diversion of the odd bit of work every so often. I do not remember anyone making a chart because they were so angry about being there!! Well, youre right there Mike...the only thing missing from that list of camps were people in red coats singing " Hi-De-Hi, Hi-De-Ho Hi-De-Hi, Hi-De-Ho".
..... 21 January 2012 10:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I volunteered to join the R.A.F. for one reason only. I was going to be called up National Service and as my brother was already in the Mob and our Birthdays were both on the 13Th. December if i joined earlier and got my Square bashing out of the way he could then claim me to his Unit. At the time he was stationed 9 miles from home and coming home every night. If this had not been the case i would never had contemplated joining up. I was 17, working in a Tailoring factory with dozens of girls, getting decent spending money, dinner on the table when i came through the door, Mother seeing to all my washing and ironing. Why on earth would i want to change that??. As it turned out after square bashing was over i took to the life with no regrets. Perhaps long serving volunteers dont understand is that many National Servicemen hated the life, whatever the Service, they had been uprooted from home life, in some cases they were married, good careers etc. I met more than a few who had calenders on the inside of their lockers and ticked off each day towards demob.
Roy Sloan 21 January 2012 11:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Chuff charts.

Like Mike, I saw the Chuff chart as a bit of fun. I was on Gan 74-75 which was about the second last tour before closure. On Gan, when you had completed half of your tour, you threw a " humpers" party and had a few beers and a bit of scran. I remember one of the entries on the chart being " must come off Amstel and go back on Charlies ". I my case, contrary to Colins idea of a holiday camp, i worked on Refuellers, Cranes, Tugs etc and spent the first six months getting the Refuellers back in shape as my predecessor had been short toured due to a family problem. I finished my normal shift and went back after lunch until dinner. It was still a great unique type of tour however and I wouldnt have missed it .
Nobby 21 January 2012 12:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Note to self: "Any  post  suggesting irony or humour is to include the words "This is humour" by way of an explanation". Last edited by Colin Hall
John Richards 21 January 2012 12:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Colin Hall Note to self: "Any  post  suggesting irony or humour is to include the words "This is humour" by way of an explanation". Last edited by Colin Hall Better still, Colin, add a or a for the benefit of those who cannot read.
Terry Carey 21 January 2012 19:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Chuff charts

Im still waiting for someone to explain what a chuff chart is or to confirm that what I described is in fact an example of said beastie! For my part I never bothered about how long I had left as it seemed like clock watching on a grand scale. After all, part of Einsteins General Theory of Relativity says quite clearly that Time expands, slows down and generally becomes more tedious the more one watches it. TC. For the benefit of those who cannot read this is a big smile:- (Well, if they cant read they wont know whether or not its a smile will they?)
Bald Eagle 21 January 2012 20:01
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Terry Carey I'm still waiting for someone to explain what a chuff chart is or to confirm that what I described is in fact an example of said beastie! For my part I never bothered about how long I had left as it seemed like clock watching on a grand scale.  After all, part of Einstein's 'General Theory of Relativity' says quite clearly that 'Time expands, slows down and generally becomes more tedious the more one watches it'.   TC. For the benefit of those who cannot read this is a big smile:-   (Well, if they can't read they won't know whether or not it's a smile will they?) well terance , it is as you said , quite simply put , a countdown chart to a date of your choice , for whatever that choice / event might be .they have been called different things of course by different groups etc, but all lead to the same outcome , which is the date you wish to reach .
Mike Pass 22 January 2012 09:19
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Why were you waiting when you have already defined said chart in your earlier post. Bloody Romans, what did they ever do for us???!!!
Mike Pass 22 January 2012 09:22
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Quoting: Colin Hall Note to self: "Any  post  suggesting irony or humour is to include the words "This is humour" by way of an explanation". Last edited by Colin Hall Or...for those who know you better than the above statement, you surely will not mind if we ignore it!!!
John Richards 22 January 2012 11:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Countdown charts ? Are they what Paras use during night jumps ?
..... 22 January 2012 12:20
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards Countdown charts ?  Are they what Paras use during night jumps ? Maybe German Paras, "You vill jump, vat is a Vorderman"
Syd Jones 22 January 2012 12:31
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Terry Carey I'm still waiting for someone to explain what a chuff chart is or to confirm that what I described is in fact an example of said beastie! For my part I never bothered about how long I had left as it seemed like clock watching on a grand scale.  After all, part of Einstein's 'General Theory of Relativity' says quite clearly that 'Time expands, slows down and generally becomes more tedious the more one watches it'.   Well Terry, I guess it must be that, being of a certain age and perhaps leading somewhat sheltered lives, thee and me never learned what a chuff chart might be. Of course, the other thing is that it might be peculiar to the RAF. They always were a bit of a funny lot... Cheers, Syd.
John Richards 22 January 2012 14:20
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Syd Jones Well Terry, I guess it must be that, being of a certain age and perhaps leading somewhat sheltered lives, thee and me never learned what a chuff chart might be. Of course, the other thing is that it might be peculiar to the RAF. They always were a bit of a funny lot... Cheers, Syd. The nearest we ever got to chuff charts in the Navy were the odd comment - "Days to do are getting few" or "ROMFT" (Roll on my ******* twelve). As for the RAF being a funny lot . . . . . Ive heard on the grapevine that they wear jimjams!
John (Scouse) Hirons 22 January 2012 14:32
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Mike Pass Why were you waiting when you have already defined said 'chart' in your earlier post. Bloody Romans, what did they ever do for us???!!! Alright Mike, Erm they built straight roads.
Terry Carey 22 January 2012 14:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Chuff charts

Hey - dont knock jim-jams John. When I was in Egypt we were issued two pairs in blue. cellular material. Most of the lads had never had pajamas and took great delight in having their photos taken in them. They were augmented in many cases with web belt, cross straps, boots and gaiters, steel helmets and personal weapon for said purpose. AS a matter of interest the blue was very close to RAF blue. TC.
Terry Carey 22 January 2012 14:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Chuff charts

Quoting: Syd Jones Well Terry, I guess it must be that, being of a certain age and perhaps leading somewhat sheltered lives, thee and me never learned what a chuff chart might be. Of course, the other thing is that it might be peculiar to the RAF. They always were a bit of a funny lot... Cheers, Syd. The thing is Syd that I had a different idea in my mind of what a Chuff is. I couldnt fathom how you could make a chart of one unless you were a skilled map maker. All I know is that I havent got one but 51% of the worlds population do. TC.
John Richards 22 January 2012 16:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Terry Carey The thing is Syd that I had a different idea in my mind of what a 'Chuff' is.   I couldn't fathom how you could make a chart of one unless you were a skilled map maker. All I know is that I haven't got one but 51% of the world's population do. TC. In true service vernacular, Chuff usually precedes either box or piece. Both uses have the same anatomical relevance. I suppose you could construct a Chuff Chart as an aide-memoire should you ever forget where it was. You could also use one to keep score . . . . . Mon Tues Wed Thur Frid Sat
..... 22 January 2012 17:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards In true service vernacular, 'Chuff' usually precedes either 'box' or 'piece'. Both uses have the same anatomical relevance. I suppose you could construct a 'Chuff Chart' as an aide-memoire should you ever forget where it was. You could also use one to keep score . . . . . Mon   Tues Wed   Thur   Frid   Sat   John. I know you think i am Loco but when i were but a Chavvy in Yorkshire "Chuffing Billy" was a Train Engine. (Is this a Signal for Train Jokes) Also ""Chuffing Heck was a polite way of saying Fu.k..g Hell.
John Richards 22 January 2012 17:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: john daly John. I know you think i am Loco but when i were but a Chavvy in Yorkshire "Chuffing Billy" was a Train Engine. (Is this a Signal for Train Jokes) Also ""Chuffing Heck was a polite way of saying Fu.k..g Hell. John. Youre going off track here, and frankly I dont see the point. Instead of going off full steam, why dont you allow yourself a little waiting room?
..... 22 January 2012 17:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards John. You're going off track here, and frankly I don't see the point. Instead of going off full steam, why don't you allow yourself a little waiting room? In my Platform shoes and a Tender behind i am finding it difficult to walk and hold my Carriage. John your jokes are just the Ticket.
John Richards 22 January 2012 18:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: john daly In my Platform shoes and a Tender behind i am finding it difficult to walk and hold my Carriage. John your jokes are just the Ticket. Be on your Guard, John, for when my Time Table allows, I shall Return.
..... 22 January 2012 18:38
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards Be on your Guard, John, for when my Time Table allows, I shall Return. Though your reply is First Class i shall be Right Away with an old Boiler who has Sleepers in her ears and Tunnel vision. I hope to Punch her Ticket and be All Aboard ( Hope i dont arrive early) Just dont get your Line crossed, dont want to haul you over the Coals.
John Richards 22 January 2012 18:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: john daly Though your reply is First Class i shall be Right Away with an old Boiler who has Sleepers in her ears and Tunnel vision. I hope to Punch her Ticket and be All Aboard ( Hope i don't arrive early) Just don't get your Line crossed, don't want to haul you over the Coals. You really know how to express yourself, John.
..... 22 January 2012 18:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
[QUOTE]Quoting: John Richards You really know how to express yourself, John. [/QUOTE I had to, she did not turn up
John Richards 23 January 2012 11:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: john daly Quoting: John Richards You really know how to express yourself, John. [/QUOTE   I had to, she did not turn up I didnt know a Pullman was still an option!
..... 23 January 2012 12:22
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John Richards I didn't know a Pullman was still an option! Sad really, even my Mazda car has a Wankel engine
John Richards 23 January 2012 12:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: john daly  Sad really, even my  Mazda car has a Wankel engine . . . . . thats great John, why dont you join the local Rotary Club? Theyd be chuffed to see you! (Notice how cleverly Ive steered back to the original topic)
Terry Carey 23 January 2012 15:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Chuff charts

All that makes me sorry I asked!!!!!!!! TC.
John Richards 23 January 2012 17:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Terry Carey All that makes me sorry I asked!!!!!!!! TC. Dont be sorry, Terry. If you dont ask youll never learn.
Bald Eagle 23 January 2012 19:25
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
terry , you could make your own CHUFF CHART , up to a date you think we`ll all stop taking the micky. please treat this with the humour in which it was meant. if you do i`ll be chuffed.
Terry Carey 23 January 2012 19:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Chuff charts

Ken, If everybody stopped taking the mickey out of me Id feel withdrawal symptoms. However, see below for chuff chart for people stopping said activity:- Day one:- John Daly stops. Day two:- John Richards stops. Day three:- Scouse stops. Day four:- Mike Pass stops. Day five:- Everybody else stops. Day six:- TC sits down, weeps sadly, rents raiment, covers head with sack- cloth and ashes and leaves FR Its like this Ken - I love the banter and since I was once a straightman in a vocal/comedy duo it reminds me of those days. In any case I more often than not actually supply the feed lines and get very disappointed if no one spots them. TC.
Spud 23 January 2012 19:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
This thread seems to have gone off the rails, maybe theres a bogie man somewhere. Incidently, my Mazda is very Familiar.
Forum post attachment
Pamela Forbes 23 January 2012 20:02
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Syd Jones Well Terry, I guess it must be that, being of a certain age and perhaps leading somewhat sheltered lives, thee and me never learned what a chuff chart might be. Of course, the other thing is that it might be peculiar to the RAF. They always were a bit of a funny lot... Cheers, Syd. Hi Syd, I dont think its a term coined by the glorious Royal Air Force. The first time I heard it called a Chuff Chart was when my son was on his first tour in Afghanistan and hes in the Army. Shakespeare may have asked "Whats in a name?" but in this case I think its rather an appropriate one, certainly for those left at home counting down the days. I know that every time my darling boy landed back at Brize I was extremely chuffed! *translation note for those not yet aware...... "Chuffed" means very happy/pleased. John (R), Ooh! You are a silly boy! Of course we wore jimjams. Wed have looked really silly walking around in just a pair of fluffy slippers!! O.K. Sorry to have interrupted the jolly banter. Do please carry on....... its such fun!
Forum post attachment
Emlyn Evans 23 January 2012 21:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
  John (R),   Ooh!  You are a silly boy!   Of course we wore jimjams.  We'd have looked really silly walking around in just a pair of fluffy slippers!!      O.K.  Sorry to have interrupted the jolly banter.  Do please carry on.......   it's such fun!   [/I][/QUOTE] Dratt I thought the attachment was going to be you in your fluffy slippers
Forum post attachment
Pamela Forbes 23 January 2012 23:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Emlyn Evans [I]   John (R),   Ooh!  You are a silly boy!   Of course we wore jimjams.  We'd have looked really silly walking around in just a pair of fluffy slippers!!      O.K.  Sorry to have interrupted the jolly banter.  Do please carry on.......   it's such fun!   [/I] Dratt I thought the attachment was going to be you in your fluffy slippers  [/I][/QUOTE]     So sorry to disappoint you Emlyn.     I'll try to do better.........   Oh dear! Someone must have censored the picture! Last edited by Pamela Forbes
Forum post attachment
Forum post attachment
Pamela Forbes 23 January 2012 23:01
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Oops!! Double click! Or as MP might say "Tilt!" Last edited by Pamela Forbes
Raymond Hall 24 January 2012 00:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
cyber family 173 just joshing

hi everybody, havent posted for a few days, except to thank mike for staying with us,[glad he did] hi roli,hope you havent got a headache today as you said you were phished!the other day but was still going back down the club for a few more rums! he he.hi colum onlly bad news for you ime afraid,weather forcast for next 7 days, monday 38.5 tuesday 36.4 wed 36 thurs 34 friday 37 saturday 36 but never mindthis cold spell cant last forever. glad to hear that our sick freinds are all doing well,it must be a worry to you all,hi gerard, back to work now? at leastyheres no more rumbles from down under, fingers crossed.regards to colin, john, raymond,hugh,pamela vicky,scouse,and if margret thinks I forgot her I didnt ,soget your hands off that frying pan! if I have forgotten anyone ,my apollogies Ime still a new boy all the best normal service wiill resume asap.regards to you all ray and shirl
..... 24 January 2012 09:16
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: raymond hall hi everybody, havent posted for a few days, except to thank mike for staying with us,[glad he did] hi roli,hope you havent got a headache today as you said you were phished!the other day but was still going back down the club for a few more rums! he he.hi colum onlly bad news for you ime afraid,weather forcast for next  7 days, monday   38.5 tuesday 36.4 wed 36  thurs 34 friday 37 saturday 36  but never mindthis cold spell cant last forever. glad to hear that our sick freinds are all doing well,it must be a worry to you all,hi gerard, back to work now? at leastyheres no more rumbles from down under, fingers crossed.regards to colin, john, raymond,hugh,pamela vicky,scouse,and if margret thinks I forgot her I didnt ,soget your hands off that frying pan! if I have forgotten anyone ,my apollogies  Ime still a new boy all the best normal service wiill resume asap.regards to you all ray and shirl Good Morning Ray. You Shunt put C.F. 173 posts on until you get on to the C. F. 173. site This area is for Intellectuals and Anoracks only. Ta.
Raymond Hall 24 January 2012 10:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
general

ok john, what did I do wrong? ray ps how long has just joshing been only for interlectuals?
..... 24 January 2012 11:06
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: raymond hall ok john, what did I do wrong?   ray ps how long has just joshing been only for interlectuals? Ray Its not that you have done anything wrong, just pointing out that your post to the C.F. Folks is not on the C.F. Site so the messages you have sent may not be seen by them. Dont mean to offend you, as for the second bit that was meant to be Humorous.