{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / No luck in finding any information at all :( Help

No luck in finding any information at all :( Help

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Paul Donohue 29 December 2011 23:36 1531 views Link  
Paul Donohue 29 December 2011 23:36
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
No luck in finding any information at all :( Help

I have been looking for a Thomas Robert Brown or he may of just used his first and last name. He was a Lance Coporal and Seargent in the 6th airborne and the 9th he was in the royal engineers. He was born 28th of Oct 1914 in Dundee. He survived the war and I have found some photos of him in a book and a reference to him loading veichles at Dunkirk. I can not however find anything at all about him on here. Any advice would be appreciated. Regards, Paul
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Bald Eagle 30 December 2011 19:52
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
paul donahue /search/ thomas brown

hi paul , dont know if this is any help , or even it has any relevance to your search, BUT,there was a lance sergeant BROWN on horsa glider no, 4 at pegasus bridge in 1944 ( he would have been 30 yrs old at that time) and he was listed as ROYAL ENGINEERS . it may not be the same person you are searching info about , but it was the only one i could find when i looked it up for you. if it could be the same one , it might just give you a further stepping stone to pursue your search further , best of luck searching , someone on this site may well pop up with more or more relevant info for you soon , they are pretty good on this site for helping others.
Murray Whyte 30 December 2011 21:31
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Good luck in your search. The two most common names in Dundee are Smith followed by Brown. I cant get past my Great Grandparents John Smith and Mary Brown fae Dundee.
Murray Whyte 30 December 2011 21:40
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Paul Donohue I have been looking for a Thomas Robert Brown or he may of just used his first and last name. He was a Lance Coporal and Seargent in the 6th airborne and the 9th he was in the royal engineers. He was born 28th of Oct 1914 in Dundee.  He survived the war and I have found some photos of him in a book and a reference to him loading veichles at Dunkirk.  I can not however find anything at all about him on here. Any advice would be appreciated. Regards, Paul If he survived the war then it is unlikely you will find information here. Do you have a number and date of discharge for him. His records may be held at Glasgow.
Paul Donohue 2 January 2012 21:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
ken channing "bald eagle"

Hello Ken, Thank you very much for the help. Where did you find this information? Could you give me the page URL. He would have been thirty on the year you said. He went to many reunions at pegasus bridge. I could do with some help of defining the unit he was in. I know he served in 9th Field Company of the REs in 39. Ive got noted down - 1st Airbourne; 3rd Para; 6th British Airbourne Div. I am currently trying to get this service number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Paul
Forum post attachment
Paul Donohue 2 January 2012 21:57
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Murray

Hello, "If he survived the war then it is unlikely you will find information here." Is there only information on people who died in the war on here. I thought it would have information on veterans, he passed away 2001. I will find his discharge date. Regards, Paul
Bald Eagle 2 January 2012 22:02
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
hey ,glad it was of some use. i tapped in personell at pegasus bridge , and srcolling about it gave a list of the men that were on each of the 6 horsa gliders . you may get something if you tap in 6th airborne division as well. sorry i cant be any more helpful than that.
Bald Eagle 2 January 2012 22:07
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
paul , i forgot to just say that the ox &bucks seemed to be the majority of men on board ,but attatchments from other regiments were also on board , i.e. l/serjeant brown ROYAL ENGINEERS. when you get on that site you`ll soon see what i mean . good luck.
Murray Whyte 2 January 2012 23:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Paul, This is an extract from the MoD site regarding Records: Making a Request for Information held on the Personnel Records of Deceased Service Personnel The Ministry of Defence (MOD) is the custodian of the Records of Service of Service personnel until they are opened to general public access at The National Archives. Subject to the payment of an administration fee of £30 per record and provision of a death certificate (except where death was in service), certain information can be provided from these records on request under the MOD's publication scheme. The scheme allows for information in these records to be exempt from the general provisions of the Freedom of Information Act by virtue of section 21(1) of the Act (Information accessible to an applicant by other means). Under the scheme, and in recognition of the duty of care owed to the family of the deceased subject, for a period of 25 years following the date of death of the subject and without the consent of the Next of Kin, MOD will disclose only: surname; forename; rank; service number; regiment/corps; place of birth; age; date of birth; date of death where this occurred in service; the date an individual joined the service; the date of leaving; good conduct medals (i.e. Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM)), any orders of chivalry and gallantry medals (decorations of valour) awarded, some of which may have been announced in the London Gazette.
Timbo 12 January 2012 20:33
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hello: there is indeed plenty of information on the war records site and some good tutorials too (I write most of them!). The problem with post war records is that whilst we can get hold of some records, most full service records are still classified, I believe the first batch will become public record in 2019. Only the Glasgow army disclosures unit will be able to supply these, it is a £30 search fee though and is not guaranteed, however it is very reliable and Ive only ever heard a few records couldnt be found after payment. The full details on getting these is in the tutorials hints and tips section. A full name and regiment would be the minimum you would need, a service number is also highly useful.
Paul Donohue 13 January 2012 04:52
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Thanks everyone

I am applying for service records. Thanks especially to Ken as the list of glider troops seems to match. He would of been lance Corporal then and landed in a glider. Very happy.
Forum post attachment