{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / WW1 1st Seige Coy

WW1 1st Seige Coy

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Theresa Hawkins 17 November 2011 15:00 878 views Link  
Theresa Hawkins 17 November 2011 15:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
WW1 1st Seige Coy

I have found my ancestor Harold Ernest Hawkins who was a Sergt in the Royal Engineers. He died on 23 Oct 1918 at France & Flanders. I have found an image of his records and that he had been awarded a D.C.M. . I know he was buried at Etaples Military Cemetary also in France. I am looking for any local records which I may be able to get more information about him on and especially what the 1st Seige Coy was. His army number was 387906 and he died from Gas poisoning. On his attestation form his trade was listed as telegraph lines man. Could anyone point my in the right direction on the history of this please.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Mac 17 November 2011 23:48
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Theresa. Do you have a copy of the Citation which led to the award of the DCM? He was awarded the DCM 17 April 1919 (This is in the London Gazette Issue 31299 page 5013 of that date. His citation is published in theSupplement to the London Gazette issue No 31794 of 24 Feb 1920....page 2286. Did you see on his Medal Card "DCM for Amendment 11.3.1920" He is shown in the gazette as: 387906 Cpl (A/Sjt.) H.E. Hawkins. Ist Siege Coy (R.Mon.) R.E. (Newport, Mon.) The Citation  reads: "For Conspicuous Gallantry at Pont-a-Sault during bridging operations on 29th Qctober 1918, when his Section's billet was blown up by a mine. He immediately organised a digging party and worked unceasingly until all the killed and wounded had been extricated.  Although suffering severely from gas he continued the dressing and removal of the wounded". I hope this is of use to you. Last edited by Ray McWilliams
Murray Whyte 18 November 2011 00:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Might be worth reading this: NO. 1 SIEGE COMPANY, R.M.R.E. in World War 1
Murray Whyte 18 November 2011 00:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Forgot to mention what the RMRE may stand for. Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers
Theresa Hawkins 12 December 2011 10:28
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Harold Hawkins WW1

I am so grateful for your help on this you have pointed me in the right direction and have found much more useful sources of information, ever grateful. Theresa