{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Looking for information Thomas Moran 47th regiment off foot

Looking for information Thomas Moran 47th regiment off foot

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Carmen Removed 17 July 2011 16:31 642 views Link  
Carmen Removed 17 July 2011 16:31
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Looking for information Thomas Moran 47th regiment off foot

My gr gr grandfather was a private in the 47th Regiment Off Foot as stated in his sons birth certificate. Married to Caroline Duclos but cannot find marriage or birth certificate. Can anyone help pls?
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Seal 20 July 2011 03:46
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Do you mean? The 47th (Lancashire) Regiment of Foot an infantry regiment of the British Army. First raised in 1741 in Scotland, the regiment saw service over a period of 140 years, before it was amalgamated with another regiment to become The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment in 1881. Public records for BDM didnt really start until 1837 since you havent given many clues its harder to track but you gr gr grandfather would have been no more than 44 when the regiments amalgamated search between 1859-1862 for his marriage, birth might be around 1837, bad new anything before that records werent that great due to fact few could read and write in English!
Seal 20 July 2011 03:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
On another note there are some 60ish Thomas Moran listed in the Ireland, Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837. 6 in the 1841 census. If you can give me a clue as to where he might have been born I might be able to help.
Carmen Removed 26 August 2011 00:40
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Thomas Moran

All I know is that Thomas was born in Ireland - no date. His son John was born in 1845 Bolton Lancashire (Moor Lane Bolton) and in 1845 Thomas was in the 47th Reg.Thomas was dead by 1867 as stated in his sons marriage certificate.John (his son) was a translator in 1866 (21 yrs) in the law courts in Malta (Blue books Malta). I think the 47th reg was in Malta 1853 to 1857, and took part in the Crimean war so it is possible that the family was in Malta then,John was a child and probably learnt the Maltese language and became a translater at the law courts. After two years he was transferred to the Public Registry of Malta as a clerk. John died aged 33 in Malta in 1877