{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Trooping the Colour

Trooping the Colour

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Forces Reunited Member 10 June 2005 23:34 4672 views Link  
(Unknown Name) 10 June 2005 23:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping the Colour

I have been lucky enough.....through a great serving friend to obtain tickets for the best seats in the house for the above event........AND after,cocktails in No 10......any questions you want answering from your friend Mr Blair Catch the 0603 train to Euston.....back in time for the Rugby League match on sky......Huddersfield v Bradford.....now that is what i call a good day out. Not to sure about No 10 thou.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Smudge 11 June 2005 09:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping etc.

Hi Pete. Well, ref No 10,may I suggest you be prepared for feelings of nausea. Do enjoy all the rest of it though, have a good day. Regards. Syd.
Lo Archer 11 June 2005 12:23
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
No. 10

Hi Pete, Jolly good show - attended the parade many a time but never had the misfortune of a cocktail at the mini White House Hmmm a question for president Blair.....you could try asking him what brand of spray starch he uses and how he came to accidentally spray it on his face Regards, Lo
(Unknown Name) 11 June 2005 17:16
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Just walked in,thanks Syd/Louise for your words......what a great event when your sitting down...had to stand on previous occassions(Medical cover).There is no one in the world that can match that Didnt get to see our friend,he had gone of somewhere else.....tea and biccies at Buck House no doubt,but didnt lose any sleep over it. Oh and well done Virgin Trains £22 day return,not bad
Smudge 11 June 2005 17:24
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping etc.

Hi Pete. Good for you mate. Glad you had a good day and didnt come face to face with Hes Excellency. Syd.
Graham 12 June 2005 06:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
The Troop

Always watch the troop, whenever I can. First time Ive been able to for a couple of years. Didnt realise that this was first time the Micks have trooped their colours for 10 years. Very impressed by it, as usual. Caught a glimpse of Chairman Bliar. He looked really p*ssed off. [probably wondering where all those people had come from.] Question. Did I see females within the ranks? If not, there was some very short woodentops on parade! Live long.
Yorkie Also Known As Titch 12 June 2005 13:27
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

I have to agree that this event really does show how disciplined our services are. I dont think any other country in the world can match such a magnificent show. Its always a pleasure to watch and reminds me how I used to love marching during my time in uniform, yes I even enjoyed the spit and polish, well I did volunteer, but I suppose some of the NS lads would not agree with me..
Yorkie Also Known As Titch 12 June 2005 13:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

And I also got a glimpse of comrade Bliar and the wicked witch, her hat was the size of the bliddy Dome.
Lo Archer 12 June 2005 14:12
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Cheries Hat

LOL Wendy!!!!!! Should we send her to Ascot - on a permanent basis? So long as we keep her well away from the horses she is in no danger of passing unrecognised
(Unknown Name) 12 June 2005 14:20
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Fosters

Or use her in the Fosters advert, where the guy is trying to keep his lager cool. Yogi.
Smudge 12 June 2005 16:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping etc

Hi Wendy. Re the NS comments, it was the best thing ever happened to me in terms of learning about decency, respect,courtesy, honour and discipline. Id dearly love to see the little darlings today receive some of the same though I doubt they could take it, and boy would I personally like to have them on the square for an hour. Id make the ---- hop about a bit. Respects. Syd.
Ginger 12 June 2005 20:10
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
trooping the colour.

hello all.i must stick my oar in on this subject i agree with you all that its a wonderful sight.now i dont know if its my eyesight but i think the standard of the drill has gone downhill over the last 40 odd years.some of the ranks were as straight as a donkeys hind legs,at one time the colour party were out of step. but i had to laugh,i swear to godi saw one csm who was about 4 foot 6 tall.i might seem predujiced but i think rifle drill looked a lot smarter with the old lee enfield 303 and bayonet i remember a lot of the ns men i knew were just as smart if not smarter than the shower i saw on saturday nethertheless it was a fine show no other country can really copy. makes the yanks green with envy . one last point next year the dutchess of blair and hh the president will take the salute.
09 12 June 2005 20:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Well i must admit i have done many troop"s and enjoyed them as i felt proud doing the actual day.It is a long day for the soldiers.I am the one on the left in full christmas tree order and it is the women puller kit those were the day"s and it was good fun .I watch it every year   Last edited by owen gwyn evans
Forum post attachment
Yorkie Also Known As Titch 12 June 2005 21:09
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

Hi Gwyn, you certainly look absolutely wonderful in your gear. I have the greatest respect for all our armed forces, they are billed as the best in the world and I believe that to be true. I know the stuff all recruits go through and it certainly and it sure made a naive little me into a very confident person. I am very proud to have done my service days, what I would have been like in war conditions I will never know, but the boys in Iraq especially deserve out thoughts and prayers, although I do believe they were sent on a fools errand by the biggest fool poor Britain has.
09 12 June 2005 21:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hi Wendy i have been in some tight spots when Maggie was in power what she did was right as i was down in the Falklands in 1982 for the conflict just got back home this morrning from a reunion in werxham N Wales it happens every years we have a memoreal service for the one"s that never came back and drink a toast to there memories.This photo of me is when i was on anti aircraft roll with the GPMG in the FALKLANDS WAR
Forum post attachment
Yorkie Also Known As Titch 12 June 2005 23:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Falklands

You were a lucky one to get home safe Gwyn, but I think it was right for us to defend British territory, I just feel so sad at the losses that we suffered and the parents who lost their boys. I signed up and made the oath to defend Queen and country and was prepared for that but thank God I was not called to do so.
(Unknown Name) 13 June 2005 06:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping a no go.

I didnt watch the Trooping of the Colour, had better things to do that day. Its not something that appeals to me all that bullsh1t. Its not soldiering. Not sure about the word "disciplined" Wendy, its more like dictatorship. Shout at someone to turn left and they turn left is dictatorship not discipline. Cant understand guys who want to spend hours days and weeks training and rehearsing for this sort of thing. Each to their own though eh. Yogi.
Ginger 13 June 2005 20:44
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
trooping.

yogi you terrible orrible little man .all the rsms and csms down to the lowliest lancejacks that have gone to the spirit world, and i dont mean the local pub ,must be stood fuming, on that big parade ground in the sky, saying to themselves just you wait untill we get you up here your wings wont touch the sky.there can be no soldiering without bags of bull.wonderful highly bulled hob nailed boots.blancoed webbing polished brasses highly pressed battledress blouse and trousers.what more could you ask for,for a highly satisfying career? tony blair in your squad.punishment awarded 14 days jankers.march him out sarnt major.
Smudge 13 June 2005 20:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping etc

Hi Jim. My Soldering consisted of two years National Service and 3 in the TA before going on reserve. Speaking of bull.When I was first in I thought what nonsense. Gradually though, recognising that you had to do it whether you liked it or not,I actually came to like it. Apart from the actual dress and boots side there was all the barrack room bull, the room itself and those daily kit layouts. Cardboard in the socks and packs to square them off, everything precisely laid out, mess tins gleaming. It was surprising how much gear went out of the window on those daily inspections. I found that I took an immense pride in and care with my old battledress and general turnout. I still think that BD was far smarter than todays combats and lent itself more to ceremonials. As indeed did drilling with a .303 Enfield. So proud eventually with two stripes. I was the same with my KD when in the Middle East, though there of course in the heat etc it did not stay pristine for long. Having said all that I daresay that quite a lot of todays pomp and ceremony could well be done without, its really hard graft on the lads and lassies themselves. Regards. Syd.
(Unknown Name) 13 June 2005 21:37
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Jim

Yeah understand what ure saying, however, bullsh1t wasnt me. We never had many big parades to contend with, and if and when we did I found something else to do, to avoid getting involved. Went into HQ to look at DCIs to see what courses were available etc. Cant understand why we dont get rid of all that pomp and bullsh1t and get on with some proper training. What a waste of a good Saturday for those that took part. Yogi.
K 16 June 2005 02:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Johnson Yeah understand what ure saying, however, bullsh1t wasn't me. We never had many big parades to contend with, and if and when we did I found something else to do, to avoid getting involved. Went into HQ to look at DCIs to see what courses were available etc. Cant understand why we don't get rid of all that pomp and bullsh1t and get on with some proper training. What a waste of a good Saturday for those that took part. Yogi. YOU PROBABLY WONT BELIEVE THIS FROM A LIGHT INFANTRYMAN BUT WE NEED TO REMEMBER THAT WHICHEVER REGIMENT WE WERE FROM DRILL IS THE FOUNDATION ON WHICH ALL MILITARY TRAINING IS BASED IT FORMS THE DISCIPLINE THAT ALLOWS US TO LET MEN LOOSE WITH WEAPONS AND LIVE AMMUNITION AND GIVES THEM THE REACTIVE DISCIPLINE TO RESPOND EFFECTIVLEY TO ORDERS IN BATTLE
Yorkie Also Known As Titch 16 June 2005 09:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

Jim your words just make me want to put my uniform on again and my mirror polished shoes. Yogi, to suggest abolishing the Trooping is an insult to all who have gone before and falling straight into Blairs republican agenda. All servicemen today are volunteers and know what is expected of them when they join. Dont deprive those of us who get great pleasure in a Satutday afternoon watching this brilliant diplay lol. luv, Wendy
Smudge 16 June 2005 09:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping etc.

Hi all. Intended as a little joke, a question - In the services does a smart....e polish it or blanco it?, Wouldnt iron it would they? Sorry sorry sorry. Im just leaving.
Smudge 16 June 2005 22:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping etc.

Hi all. Just thought Id try to show you what old military "working" dress was like. Regards. Syd. PS. Apologies if photo doesnt show.
Forum post attachment
(Unknown Name) 16 June 2005 22:22
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Good ole Days

Syd. Them were the days eh Syd. I remember getting issued battle dress in the depot for "dare I say" drill, the stuff that Kevin reckons instills discipline (cough cough yawn yawn). I turned my trousers inside out and shaved them as they itched like mad. Yogi.
Smudge 16 June 2005 22:36
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping etc..

Hi Yogi. They certainly were, I used to love my battledress. When first issued they were just mis-shapen sacks but once tailored and having been pressed a few times they were I think very smart. I was also fortunate in being issued with the "smoother" type shirts, not quite officer standard but far better than the normal issue.Those days, 18 years old in a smart uniform, didnt the girls love us!. The desert KD could also be smart when freshly washed and ironed, with the collar and lapels starched. Trouble was though in the heat and dirt etc they soon looked pretty scruffy as shown in that photo. Sorry couldnt get it any bigger. Best wishes mate. Syd.
Yorkie Also Known As Titch 16 June 2005 23:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

Could I be right in thinking that Yogi is of a different generation. Yogi did you have to do national service lol or did you volunteer. If you were a volunteer you have no comeback on your treatment, we all, even us WRAFS had to undergo humiliation, and extreme activities that left us exhausted during basic training and more spit and polish than any of us had ever expected on entry. But think we all came out of it a better person than when we went in.
Scotty 17 June 2005 11:48
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping The Colour

I LOVE any Military Spectacular, I am ex Army 22 years and I would go back tomorrow, why must you be too old when you have served 22 years. I loved the spit and polish, I did my basic training back in 74 Boy Service then 76 Adult training at Cove.
Colin Ross 17 June 2005 13:22
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I dont think standards have slipped at all in fact the reverse ! Up until the late sixties it seemed that most sqaddies didnt care that their berets looked ridiculous,even managing to make the famous T OS look like a scone, Most photos you see from the 1930 upto the end of NS the regiments are a complete bag of shize. As for drill standards well in this day and age the Gaurds and the QCS use historical footage as an example of how far standards have come ! On the other hand though I bet all those famous regiments about to be dibanded are delighted that the Gaurds are kept just for this one day a year !!!!!!
Smudge 17 June 2005 15:36
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

Hi Colin. Do you put yourself out to be deliberately controversial, you speak for yourself. As far as I am concerned the old Army was very much smarter than todays although as I have said many times I consider our services to be the best. I live in Colchester and quite frankly I have never seen two squaddies with their berets on the same. There was a ruling you know, the band one inch centrally above th e right eye. Frankly they often look quite scruffy to me.
Smudge 17 June 2005 15:57
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

A further comment. I did my NS in the fifties and I was always a very smart and regimental soldier. I do not take kindly to those people that cast aspersions on us. At the time we were current this Country of ours had very many problems and without the NS lads it could not possibly have coped. I am thinking of Korea, Malaya, Suez Canal Zone, Kenya and later Cyprus, Aden and so on and on. Your personal opinion is of course valid but do at least have the courtesy to give credit where it is due. Apologies if youre upset but I did alright and so did many many thousands of others.
Smudge 17 June 2005 16:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

One further comment. I would like to see other NS men (50s-60s) support me here.
Smudge 17 June 2005 16:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

Correction. Ref that beret. I should have said one inch above the LEFT eye and central.
Rocky 17 June 2005 17:50
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
SYD Yep, old mate. . . I was National Service in the mid fifties and was a very smart Airman indeed. Beret shrunk to just right size, boots shining like mirrors, buttons gleaming and bl**dy proud of the service. Got to corporal too, which was pretty good for a National Service erk ! On a serious note. I lost several good friends, killed on National Service, so dont let anyone run down the guys who gave two years service to the country. Some of them made the supreme sacrifice and Ive never forgotten them ! Rocky
Bish 17 June 2005 18:24
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Johnson Yeah understand what ure saying, however, bullsh1t wasn't me. We never had many big parades to contend with, and if and when we did I found something else to do, to avoid getting involved. Went into HQ to look at DCIs to see what courses were available etc. Cant understand why we don't get rid of all that pomp and bullsh1t and get on with some proper training. What a waste of a good Saturday for those that took part. Yogi. Yogi, you were with the D&Ds werent you? I did a bit of training in NI for the D&Ds and was suprised at the amount of bullsh** I encountered considering the job in hand. Perhaps I had a hand in some of your training? And sadly for me I trained some of the Welsh Guards at Brecon before the Falklands. Couldnt say a thing about sending uncapable kids off on the boats like that. To this day I still think of the 17 and 18 year old boys that we had to send there who just werent ready....
Smudge 17 June 2005 19:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping.

Hi Philip. Well said, my respects. You and I had exactly the same attitude, same standards and achieved the same rank. As you said we did well in that two years and there was many thousands more like us. I really do rear up at these inept, innapropriate and ill considered comments about National Servicemen and in fact any other old servicepeople. Regards. Syd.
Ginger 17 June 2005 20:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
trooping the colour.

evening all.a special question for our yogi.try as i might i just cant understand how by walking into an office you can get out of duties or bull ht.the army i was part of made sure the only way you got out of parades was when you were close to deaths door or you had special clearance from the co to be absent.there was no way that the ordinary squaddie could get out of duties involving parades and bull.are you sure you were in the british army.i am attending a regimental day next month,there will be around 500 of us old fools on parade but marching behind the band will be 500 very proud and bulled up old men.i will march even with my 2 walking sticks all the best.
Ginger 17 June 2005 20:23
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
trooping the colour .

hello syd and all ex nsmen. i was a regular soldier and served with a lot of nsmen they made fine soldiers,i never met a bad one.they were the equal of any regular soldier that i met i will be having a few jars with some of them in the mess next month, bless em all.
Smudge 17 June 2005 20:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping etc.

Hi Jim. Many thanks for the kind words. Needless to say I had and still have great respect for the Regular Services. Enjoy that march and the few pints after. Very best wishes to you. Syd.
(Unknown Name) 17 June 2005 21:31
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Bullsh!t

Hi Alan. Yep, I was D and D. What year were you with them. I surpose theres a certain amount of bullsh1t with any unit, however, it depends on whats judged as bullsh1t. I spent a bit of time attached to different and various groups of smaller units specalising in certain jobs. No names no pack drill. I personnally am NOT into bullsh1t, and I sometimes wondered how I coped with some of the courses I done, having to iron kit, room inspections and move as a body of men from A to B with some twat shouting out drill movements trying to impress people etc. Yogi.
Bish 17 June 2005 22:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Yogi

Ill send you an e-mail mate OK
K 17 June 2005 23:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Smith Hi Wendy. Re the NS comments, it was the best thing ever happened to me in terms of learning about decency, respect,courtesy, honour and discipline. I'd dearly love to see the little darlings today receive some of the same though I doubt they could take it, and boy would I personally like to have them on the square for an hour. I'd make the ---- hop about a bit. Respects. Syd. Syd couldnt agree more however having done my stint as a depot instructor the methods we used deemed harsh are now considered Bullying hands are tied.So it probably wouldnt do them much good weve all seen Boot Camp as soon as they started crying they were getting cuddles Proper NS thats whats needed
Yorkie Also Known As Titch 17 June 2005 23:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping

Are all the moderators sleeping? How did Yogi get away with his last post on here when I could not even say the proper name of Bluetot on another?
K 17 June 2005 23:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Johnson Hi Alan. Yep, I was D and D. What year were you with them. I surpose there's a certain amount of bullsh1t with any unit, however, it depends on whats judged as bullsh1t. I spent a bit of time attached to different and various groups of smaller units specalising in certain jobs. No names no pack drill. I personnally am NOT into bullsh1t, and I sometimes wondered how I coped with some of the courses I done, having to iron kit, room inspections and move as a body of men from A to B with some twat shouting out drill movements trying to impress people etc. Yogi. Yogi do I detect a slight distaste for rank there?
Bish 18 June 2005 01:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: PERRY(nee)CHATFIELD Are all the moderators sleeping? How did Yogi get away with his last post on here when I could not even say the proper name of Bluetot on another? Wendy, substitute the letter i with the number 1.. works everytime Regards Bish
(Unknown Name) 18 June 2005 08:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Kev.

Kevin. Looks like it mate, you know what split arses are like. Well done B1sh, good explanation. The weeker of the two s£xes have not cottoned on yet. Bless em. Yogi.
(Unknown Name) 18 June 2005 08:18
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Wendy

Wendy. Dont you mean bluet1t - LOL. Yogi.
Smudge 18 June 2005 09:41
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping etc

Hi Kevin. Agreed. A two year stint as it was would sort out the creeps ( mostly) and certainly wouldnt do the decent ones any harm. Regards. Syd. PS. Makes me feel like being out on that square again. If only!!.
Smudge 18 June 2005 09:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Trooping.

Ref those Berets. How they should (regualations ) be worn. Ignore the rest,it was working gear. Syd.
Forum post attachment
Bish 18 June 2005 13:12
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I know a kid of 16 in the UK. He is just doing his Gcses now and has no intention of staying on at school, he absolutely hates it although he is an above average student. When last we spoke he was thinking of joining the Army, one; to get a trade and, two; to see a bit of the World. The Army has told him to wait until he is 18 and try again. I thought we were short of recruits?