{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Another piece of ill thought planned legislation

Another piece of ill thought planned legislation

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Still Rockin Away 5 June 2005 10:53 1903 views Link  
Still Rockin Away 5 June 2005 10:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by

The government's latest crackpot idea is to fit every car with a 'black box' so that you pay, at varying rates per mile, depending where you are driving. How many billions will the setting up of this scheme cost just to find that it doesn't work properly? Surely if the road tax was abolished and added to the price of fuel then those who used more fuel would pay more tax. This would then have the benefit of making people more fuel conscious and press the car manufacturers into producing more fuel efficient vehicles (commercial and private).
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Rocky 5 June 2005 14:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
JOHN A very good idea but far too intelligent for Alastair Darling or John Prescott. Anyway, its just another plan to take our hard earned money off us to fill Gordon Browns black hole. Rocky
Darryl Glynn 5 June 2005 15:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Black Box.

How will this stupid idea work for foriegn registered vehicles??? Just like the current system, these vehicle pay no UK road tax, a loop hole I have notice where many UK residents, use a relitives address abroad to register the car and keep it in this country. (I have spotted plenty of Dutch and German reg`s, right hand drive cars, parked outside houses for months)
(Unknown Name) 5 June 2005 20:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Another crack-pot idea from President Blair. It would only encourage the even wider use of unregistered and untaxed and uninsured and unsafe vehicles by the growing underclass created by and now sustained and supported by New Labour. /end rant
Darryl Glynn 6 June 2005 18:37
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
And tourism in this country would die overnite. How much would it cost me to drive from Birmingham to Cornwall? It`s already cheaper to fly abroad.
Still Rockin Away 6 June 2005 18:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
[QUOTE]Quoting: [B]Glynn[/B] [I]It`s already cheaper to fly abroad. [/I][/QUOTE] Its also cheaper to flee abroad.
John Flunder 6 June 2005 18:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by

Could it be that for some, at the centre of this Government, that this is not a question of avoiding Gridlock but a step nearer to being able to monitor the movements of all vehicles and their occupants. I do not believe that it is so ill thought out as they would like us to believe. There is always a hidden reason for those who would be dictators, given the opportunity. Of course it appears stupid - to us - but I just wonder if these plotters and planners are as thick as we ordinary folk like to think they are ! !
Darryl Glynn 6 June 2005 19:11
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I like were your going with that one, john. Big Brother!!!! And ID cards.... Fingerprints, Iris scan and facial print!!!! I carry all of those things with me already!!!
Geordie 6 June 2005 19:32
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Another piece of madnes

I wonder if this is the first step to another STEALTH TAX. Most people will leave the expensive Motorways and instead Gridlock the A and B roads as it will be cheaper.President Blair will then hike up the charges on these roads.Like I said another Stealth Tax in the making.
Still Rockin Away 6 June 2005 20:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
[QUOTE]Quoting: [B]Flunder[/B] [I]Could it be that for some, at the centre of this Government, that this is not a question of avoiding Gridlock but a step nearer to being able to monitor the movements of all vehicles and their occupants.    I do not believe that it is so ill thought out as they would like us to believe.    There is always a hidden reason for those who would be dictators, given the opportunity.    Of course it appears stupid - to us - but I just wonder if these plotters and planners are as thick as we ordinary folk like to think they are ! ![IMG]Images/Smilies/mad.gif[/IMG] [IMG]Images/Smilies/mad.gif[/IMG] [/I][/QUOTE] Now youve really got me worried that one slipped by me!
Darryl Glynn 6 June 2005 20:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Maybe they are going to con us again. We are expecting this to be a dreaded stealth tax, but they will hit us with a lesser tax, and we will say "pheuww! thank god for that" and except it! Oldest trick in the book, to make you think the worst and except the lesser evil.
Vicky 6 June 2005 20:48
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Daryl there was a quote in the paper yesterday that it would cost £260.00 to go from London to Exeter by motorway and £40.00-50.00 by a roads. (then there is the return journey). Doesnt take a genius to work out that motorways will become redundant and that the rest of the country will jam up especially as public transport is so expensive and in some cases non exsistant. As you have said its cheaper to go abroad. My brother is taking his car abroad and the ferry deal is for up to 4 passengers plus car £38.00 return.
Rita Gemmell 6 June 2005 20:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Next step: On the day you are born a bar code will be inserted into your body so that you can be tracked till the day you die. Now that sounds like a good idea for pedophiles.
Bish 6 June 2005 21:03
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
just a moment, when was the last Government department that actually works set up. In recent years we have had congestion charging, child support agency, passport office and Pension office to name a few. Despite many years of operation none of these agencies appear to work properly. Cant see this one being any different And another thing, what happens when road tax, fuel tax and parking monies dry up through people finding alternative transport....whos going to pay for the Domes upkeep along with several unused athletics stadia in London. just a note, petrol prices went up here last night to an all time high.... quickly working it out to around £1:77 a gallon.
Bish 6 June 2005 21:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
[QUOTE]Quoting: [B]Gemmell[/B] [I]Next step: On the day you are born a bar code will be inserted into your body so that you can be tracked till the day you die. Now that sounds like a good idea for pedophiles.[IMG]Images/Smilies/blink.gif[/IMG] [IMG]Images/Smilies/devil.gif[/IMG] [/I][/QUOTE] Now that idea has been made into a TV show and for the life of me cant remember what it was called. It rated with me on par with paint drying or grass watching shows. Mind you anything is preferable to that show where the guy built a model railway in his back garden. What a sad, sad man.......
Chippy 9 June 2005 01:37
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Flunder Could it be that for some, at the centre of this Government, that this is not a question of avoiding Gridlock but a step nearer to being able to monitor the movements of all vehicles and their occupants.    I do not believe that it is so ill thought out as they would like us to believe.    There is always a hidden reason for those who would be dictators, given the opportunity.    Of course it appears stupid - to us - but I just wonder if these plotters and planners are as thick as we ordinary folk like to think they are ! ! Hi John, I always like to read your posts, because when you do draw your gun from its holster, you always hit the target. All these devices and proposals for monitering us, are just another nail in the coffin of democracy..
John Flunder 9 June 2005 21:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by

Thanks Trev - perhaps its just that I get down there with the Politicians, the Cowboy Builders, and Shyster Lawyers. On the question of the tracking devices in the car. I have tried to think of other disadvantages and have come up with a few which others might like to comment on. (1) How about the married man who tells the Wife he is working late, and then drives over to see his mistress. (2) Or the married woman who tells hubby she needs the car whilst he is at work, and drives to her lover. (3) Those who use a company car and claim tax relief on miles travelled in excess of those actually travelled. (4) Reps supplied with a company car/van for work use only, not personal business. (5) Insurance companies who ask what milage you do, before quoting a premium, and who will be able to check whether you have exceeded it, and therefore repudiate a claim you may make. Comments anyone, and possibly more examples.
K 18 June 2005 04:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Or even those honest people who take lower paid jobs rather than live off benefits who need to drive to work it would destroy them they just couldn`t do it Is a pre requisite of being P.M. To see how many different ways we can drive the standard of living down Why dont we have a concert to get him to wipe our debts out and we can all start with a clean slate Well we can dream.
Bert 18 June 2005 09:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Legislation.

My company will be moving premises soon,so i will have to travel 30 miles a day on a moterway and possibly pay congetion charge as well if this goes ahead it could cost me nearly £40 a day just for the privilage of working !!!! Neil.
Al/Big Al/ Phil 18 June 2005 21:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Would government vehicles be exempt.
Cave Adsum 18 June 2005 23:32
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
ill thought legislation

The next obvious step for this government is to bring in a "cashless" society. It will all sound logical at first. You cannot get mugged if you dont use cash. All transactions would be done by your flexible friend. This way, they can keep tags on each and every one of us, every time we spend money.The next step is the one Rita came up with. Insert the bar code under the skin, then you flexible friend cannot be stolen. Its not a new idea though, it is 2000 years old and is in the book of Revelation.
Smudge 20 June 2005 17:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Ill thought etc

Hi all. Dont see me much on here. However speaking of "cashless" societies have we not already got one?. Did I read were a Trillion pounds in debt??.
Chippy 20 June 2005 18:09
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Crap legislation

Dont know what youre all moaning about..The answer is simple... Just get a job driving a New Marxist minister, you know, someone like David Plonker, ...err that should read Blunket. That way all your sins are forgiven. You can register your own private car as exempt vehicle and feel free to store up to £40,000 of drugs in your family home.. You can add thousands of miles on your ministerial pool car,petrol and road tax paid for by Muggins, and no questions asked...No worries mate! The old blind begger will sort you out a get out of jail free card...There you are... problem solved!easy peasy...
Vic 20 June 2005 19:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Stealth Road Tax

Has anyone considered whos going to pay for the retro-fit of the black box flight recorder to all exsisting vehicles ??? By the way those wishing to visit the city of London the stealth tax goes up there on the 2nd July to £8 a day.. And "RED Ken" wants to extend to cover the 100 x 1000s living in Kensingston & Chelsea.. Man of the people ???