{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Co-op refuses to serve soldier after return from Afghanistan

Co-op refuses to serve soldier after return from Afghanistan

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Fr Admin 6 August 2010 13:35 3170 views Link  
Fr Admin 6 August 2010 13:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by

Co-op refuses to serve soldier after return from Afghanistan - because he was still in uniform

A hero soldier who had just arrived home from a tour of Afghanistan was refused service at a supermarket after being told they didnt serve people in army uniform.

Sapper Anthony Walls, of the 21 Engineer Regiment, popped into the Co-op in Croydon for some beers after a gruelling 34-hour journey from Kandahar.

The 27-year-old, said it was his first hour back in the real world after dodging Taliban bullets for the past four-and-a-half months helping build the most dangerous road in Afghanistan.

But when he arrived at the till to pay he was met with a blank stare from the cashier, who refused to serve him and called for her manager.

When the manager turned up he told him he couldnt do anything about it and refused to serve him while he was in uniform.

The patriotic soldier - who was on his way to his three-year-old nephew Jacks birthday party - simply left his beer at the check-out and walked out of the shop in daze.

He said: I was shocked and deeply hurt.

All I was thinking about was getting home to Jack in time to wish him a happy birthday.

It was great to be home after a difficult journey and I just thought Id grab a couple of beers - a luxury I hadnt had in a while.

But when I came to pay the cashier refused to serve me and rang her bell.

A male supervisor came along and the cashier explained she was refusing to serve me because I was in uniform.

He looked at me and said "I cant do anything about it".

I put the beer down and walked out.

Anthony, who joined up when he was 17, said it was tough in Afghanistan and that he had witnessed the death of one of his best pals, Sapper Daryn Roy, who died at the age of 28 in an IED explosion in May this year.

He added: Its really tough out there.

Sometimes the only thing that keeps you going is the support and love from home.

I appreciate the Co-op cashier may have had her own opinions about the war, but we are just doing a job and laying our lives down for this country.

A little respect and appreciation would be nice.
Home: Walker was on his way to his three-year-old nephew Jack Lloyds, right, birthday party. His sister Claire, middle, is disgusted with the way Anthony was treated. The Co-op said the incident was a genuine mistake

Home: Walker was on his way to his three-year-old nephew Jack Lloyds, right, birthday party. His sister Claire, middle, is disgusted with the way Anthony was treated. The Co-op said the incident was a genuine mistake

Anthonys sister Claire Lloyd, 33, said she was disgusted at her brothers treatment at the Co-op store in New Addington, Croydon.

The mother-of-four said: I am so proud of Anthony - he works hard and willingly puts his own life on the line every day.

To come home to this kind of treatment is disgusting.

I feel he deserves an apology in person from the Co-op. Anthony and his colleagues are the unsung heroes of this country - they deserve the respect and civility extended to anyone else in a uniform.

A Co-op spokesman said the incident had been a genuine mistake on the part of our two members of staff and apologised for how Anthony was treated.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Jock 6 August 2010 14:06
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I would not put a foot inside there door again, if that is how they treat service men.
Nigel Osborn 6 August 2010 14:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I suggest he gets his entire company to march in the store in full uniform! That should drive the point home!
Aseumas 6 August 2010 15:23
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Nigel, that is a bril idea, a wish Id thought of it
P S 6 August 2010 15:37
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Co-op refuses to serve Soldier

Ill bet theyd serve a Police officer
Norwegian Blue 6 August 2010 16:51
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Co-Op Customer Services

Anyone who feels strongly enough can let the co-op know what they feel at the following link; http://www.co-operative.coop/food/contact-us/ I have told them what I think of them. Last edited by Richard Parr
Spud 8 August 2010 10:51
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Co-op would not dare refuse to serve an ethnic minority.
The Huntress 8 August 2010 13:44
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by

They have an email from me in Canada. I have informed them that their shop will be now likely be voluntarily OFF LIMITS to all service and ex service members, extended families and granmas and grandads! Isnt Co-op owned by its members, or is that from the olden days?
Mahatchma 9 August 2010 13:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Likewise Patricia

I, too, have sent a message to them explaining the fact that I despise their attitude. they should be drowned, but scum floats, unfortunately.
Mahatchma 10 August 2010 11:40
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
A response from the Co-op!

TO be fair to the Cop society, I copy here the reply to my email to them concerning my disgust at the treatment of the soldier. Thank you for your email. Please be assured that the decision not to serve Sapper Walker, was a genuine mistake on the part of our two members of staff. We very much regret the upset this matter has caused and have apologised to him. I can confirm that we do not have a policy that states when wearing uniform, members of the armed forces should not be served alcohol or cigarettes. I would like to thank you for taking the time to write and if I can provide you with any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly. So there is some remorse and I hope the individuals were duly warned. Thanks for small mercies, eh?