{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Can anyone help me find a pound sign?

Can anyone help me find a pound sign?

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Pamela Forbes 20 May 2010 00:14 6817 views Link  
Pamela Forbes 20 May 2010 00:14
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Can anyone help me find a pound sign?

After many months and having asked lots of people I am still unable to find a way to get the pound sign. According to the keyboard it should be Caps+3 but this gives me # I had problems with the at sign and this turned out to require Caps+2 Would be really grateful if anyone could help. By the way its a Samsung nc10
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Mac 20 May 2010 01:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Pamela Forbes After many months and having asked lots of people I am still unable to find a way to get the pound sign. According to the keyboard it should be Caps+3 but this gives me # I had problems with the at sign and this turned out to require Caps+2 Would be really grateful if anyone could help. By the way it's a Samsung nc10 Just a thought...have you got the keyboard set to UK or USA? Go to Control panel - select Region and Language - set Location, region and Language to UK. Make it the default. Hope this helps.
Pamela Forbes 20 May 2010 10:04
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Checked that Ray. Set on English and United Kingdom. Am unsure what is meant by the default.
Handle Oval Balls With Care. 20 May 2010 10:11
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Press "Shift"+3 Aand not Caps.
Pamela Forbes 20 May 2010 10:28
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
No Mike, that doesnt work either. I think that Ive tried every key on the board +3 without success
Mahatchma 20 May 2010 11:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
The problem may be Bill Gates! The octothorpe (US pound symbol) also known as the sharp symbol to the musical (#) is prevalent - I have noticed that many emails where tha UK pound sign should appear, translates as a code - cannot recall what off hand, however in Office 2007, Winword has an insert symbol tab - I think earlier Word versions also had it. £ is what I found. Try cutting and pasting to a document and save it if you dont have the symbol tab. Good luck
Mike Pass 20 May 2010 11:27
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hhhmmm!!!!

Pamela, was this keyboard built for the US market? Some of those cannot be configured to UK usage
Murray Whyte 20 May 2010 11:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Pamela, A couple of questions: 1. Is the Num Lock enabled? A little blue LED on the front will be lit. 2. Do you have an EN key on the bottom right of your NC10?
Bob (Tuffy ) Draper 20 May 2010 11:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Pamela Forbes After many months and having asked lots of people I am still unable to find a way to get the pound sign. According to the keyboard it should be Caps+3 but this gives me # I had problems with the at sign and this turned out to require Caps+2 Would be really grateful if anyone could help. By the way it's a Samsung nc10 Hi, do the following control panel, then select Lang and regional setting,then keyboard tab, then change keyboard tab, then dropdown set to uk english, then in the box below if it has 2 entries eng uk plus eng us, select the eng us and delete, then apply. that should solve it Last edited by Bob Draper
..... 20 May 2010 12:25
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Pamela Forbes After many months and having asked lots of people I am still unable to find a way to get the pound sign. According to the keyboard it should be Caps+3 but this gives me # I had problems with the at sign and this turned out to require Caps+2 Would be really grateful if anyone could help. By the way it's a Samsung nc10 Pamela. Happy to help, Just send me £300. and you can have my laptop and as many of these as you need,££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ job solved regards j. d.
Ally Bell 20 May 2010 12:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
have mine i t has a virus. i press shift+3.
Forum post attachment
Don’T Panic. 20 May 2010 14:46
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
£ key on Samsung nc10

Have you tried the (#) key or maybe you can use the keystroke code to get it which is to hold down the alt key and then type 0163
Norwegian Blue 21 May 2010 11:16
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
It all depends on the configuration of your keyboard.  Mine is set up for Norwegian Bokmål but I have set up English (UK) too.  I can switch between simply by depressing alt + shift .  Check that your English is English (UK) as opposed to English (US).   Then it should be just a case of depressing shift and the 3 button . Last edited by Richard Parr Last edited by Richard Parr
Pamela Forbes 21 May 2010 20:36
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Many Thanks

Can I just say thank you to all those kind gentlemen who took the time to try and help me with my computer problem. I have tried all those suggestions that have been possible but unfortunately nothing has worked. (Ian Hatch: Im afraid the only kind of cutting and pasting that I am any good at is the kind involved when decorating a room!) I have decided that, although irritating, it isnt a matter of life and death. (Unlike not being able to find the at sign!). So thanks for your offer John Daly but Ill keep my pounds and you can keep yours!
..... 21 May 2010 20:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Mike Thorne Have you tried the (#) key or maybe you can use the keystroke code to get it which is to hold down the alt key and then type 0163 Mike. Your picture does remind me of a lot of famous different people. regards jd.
Ally Bell 21 May 2010 21:07
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
at last...
Forum post attachment
Murray Whyte 21 May 2010 21:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Pamela Forbes  Can I just say thank you to all those kind gentlemen who took the time to try and help me with my computer problem. I have tried all those suggestions that have been possible but unfortunately nothing has worked. (Ian Hatch: I'm afraid the only kind of 'cutting and pasting' that I am any good at is the kind involved when decorating a room!) I have decided that, although irritating, it isn't a matter of life and death. (Unlike not being able to find the 'at' sign!). So thanks for your offer John Daly but I'll keep my pounds and you can keep yours!                                                     Hi Pamela, I asked you on page 2: Pamela, A couple of questions: 1. Is the Num Lock enabled? A little blue LED on the front will be lit. 2. Do you have an EN key on the bottom right of your NC10?
Pamela Forbes 21 May 2010 22:24
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Murray, I have 2 blue lights and 1 yellow. I cannot see an EN key on bottom right just an fn key on bottom left.
Murray Whyte 21 May 2010 22:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Pamela Forbes Murray,  I have 2 blue lights and 1 yellow. I cannot see an EN key on bottom right just an fn key on bottom left. It may be that the Num Lock is enabled. Try using Fn+F11. to toggle off/on and see what happens. No EN Key then try: Right click on desktop, properties, appearance, windows and buttons change to classic style. Next open control panel, regional and language options, language, details, now you can change keyboard to UK or UK extended. Try extended.
Pamela Forbes 21 May 2010 23:58
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Thats the sort of pound sign I like!

Ally Bell, Now thats the sort of pound sign I like! Can you put Long Live the in front of it and send it to every computer in the EU Parliament?
Pamela Forbes 22 May 2010 00:06
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Murray, I can manage a smattering of spanish, italian, french and german but when it comes to computereze I dont speak a word! However, when I have translated what you said I will try it. Oh! Tried the fn + f11 and it changed my o to a 6. Watch this space for further inept fumblings!!
Dixy 20 July 2010 18:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
does you keyboard have a £ sign or a $ sign on it or both? not a catch question.
Pamela Forbes 20 July 2010 19:24
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Ian Dixon does you keyboard have a £ sign or a $ sign on it or both? not a catch question. Ian, It has both. Comparing the keyboard to a Compaq Presario the only difference that I can see is that the Samsung notebook has a Euro sign on the f3 key where the Compaq has three ws ( not allowed to write abreviation for world wide web!!!) on the f3 key.
Norwegian Blue 20 July 2010 19:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
££££££££££££££££££££££££s

Pamela.  Try the link here;   www.samsung.com/uk/support/howtoguide/supportHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=2230&prd_ia_cd=05010000&map_seq=20304®Dt=20090925073822&page_gb=D&model_name=NP-NC10&type_ia_cd=05010000&subtype_ia_cd=05013 OK link won't work try pasting in to your browser or right click on it and go to .... Last edited by Richard Parr Last edited by Richard Parr Last edited by Richard Parr
Dixy 20 July 2010 19:46
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
stumped at the moment but will persevere.
Bald Eagle 20 July 2010 19:51
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
failing all of that, could you not just put xxxxx pounds sterling in,, e.g. 1000 pounds sterling . most people would understand that, i think??? best of luck anyway.
Colum 20 July 2010 19:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I have a Toshiba Windows Premium Vista. The £ sign is on No 3 and Shift The $ sign is on No 4 and shift Sorry cant be more helpful.
Pamela Forbes 20 July 2010 20:26
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Dont worry about it Chaps. Thanks for trying to help. I am now just using the Samsung when I am stuck in bed and manage without the £ sign. I have the Compaq downstairs so can use that when I want to be Grown-Up!!
Norwegian Blue 20 July 2010 20:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Pamela Forbes   Don't worry about it Chaps.  Thanks for trying to help.  I am now just using the Samsung when I am stuck in bed and manage without the £ sign.  I have the Compaq downstairs so can use that when I want to be 'Grown-Up'!!     Typical female - gets us all chasing after her and then says Dont worry about it!. Pamela. All you need to do is go to the Samsung website use FAQ or help & support, but no, Dont worry about it you say!! I will worry about it and want to know the answer!!
Pamela Forbes 20 July 2010 21:12
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Richard Parr Typical female - gets us all chasing after her and then says ' Don't worry about it!'. Pamela. All you need to do is go to the Samsung website use FAQ or help & support, but no, 'Don't worry about it' you say!!  I will worry about it and want to know the answer!! Hi Richard! Very early on in my relationship with the NC10 I googled the problem and was guided to the Samsung engineers. Having explained the problem to them they very kindly came back to me and said that they had the answer. Wonderful thought I! Then they told me they wanted ££££s before they would tell me how to find the £. Please feel free to check out any further lines of enquiry - I would hate to feel responsible for any hypertension in the Parr household!! and let me know if you can get an answer for free.
Mac 20 July 2010 21:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Pamela. Just use GBP and the number of pounds either before or after....it seems to be common usage! GBP10....or 10GBP!
Norwegian Blue 20 July 2010 22:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Pamela Forbes   Hi Richard!    Very early on in my 'relationship' with the NC10 I googled the problem and was guided to the Samsung engineers.  Having explained the problem to them they very kindly came back to me and said that they had the answer.    Wonderful thought I!  Then they told me they wanted ££££s before they would tell me how to find the £.     Please feel free to check out any further lines of enquiry  -  I would hate to feel responsible for any hypertension in the Parr household!!  and let me know if you can get an answer for free. Hi Pamela. It sounds like your keyboard is set up in English (US) rather than English (UK). Try the link it is free or failing that you can check the keyboard set-up ; 1) Click START 2) Click CONTROL PANEL 3) Click CLOCK, LANGUAGE and REGION 4) Click CHANGE KEYBOARD OR OTHER INPUT METHODS under Regional & Language Options 5) Click CHANGE KEYBOARDS under Keyboards and Languages You should now be able to check the language set-up of your keyboard and change it if needs be.
Sigs 21 July 2010 16:19
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
can

Quoting: Pamela Forbes After many months and having asked lots of people I am still unable to find a way to get the pound sign. According to the keyboard it should be Caps+3 but this gives me # I had problems with the at sign and this turned out to require Caps+2 Would be really grateful if anyone could help. By the way it's a Samsung nc10 Hi  bought a lat top at christmas had to change  it 3 time  it had no at sign it was made for  the USA Iwas told by a mate . sounds the same try upper case on # see what goes on then .regards george Last edited by george woolley
Pamela Forbes 21 July 2010 17:09
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hi George, Yes, I had the same problem with the at sign. The answer to that one is upper case on 2. Tried your suggestion and realise I cant get the hash either!! It comes up as or | I got myself a Compaq Presario a couple of weeks ago which gives me more scope than the mini-notebook and keep the Samsung by the bed as I have to spend a lot of time there!!
..... 21 July 2010 21:04
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Pamela Forbes   Hi George,    Yes, I had the same problem with the at sign. The answer to that one is upper case on 2.   Tried your suggestion and realise I can't get the hash either!!  It comes up as  or  |   I got myself a Compaq Presario a couple of weeks ago which gives me more scope than the mini-notebook and keep the Samsung by the bed as I have to spend a lot of time there!!     Hes a lucky man that there Sam.