{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Odds and Bits 74

Odds and Bits 74

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by K.A .The Robin 28 April 2010 10:50 18203 views Link  
K.A .The Robin 28 April 2010 10:50
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Odds and Bits 74

And here he is......
Forum post attachment
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Peter Caddy 29 April 2010 04:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Two days of rain and boy how we ned it . The summer birds are showing up right now theres not much room around the feeder .We get the White Crowned Sparow every year but never like this year ,some times we might get 2 or 3 pair but the last two days there is more than 12 cocks around the feeder all the time .Today I saw for the first time here a Slate colored Junco..just one .But theres a humming bird showed up swall0ws are back.Just think them tiny humming birds come 2700 mile or so the book says . So no more working in the bush till nesting is over no more burning old wood ,twigs and branchs cos some bird might have a nest in it .. Well thats my story and Im keeping to it ..
K.A .The Robin 29 April 2010 14:51
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hello to all on O and B. Peter - hope you are well. I have never seen a humming bird, I believe the ones you have spend the Winter in Mexico so they do fly a long way. We have had quite warm weather in the U.K. but today it is raining and this is expected to continue over this Bank Holiday weekend. We had a good cycle ride yesterday and sat by a lake with our picnic watching this Heron which was on the other side of the lake about a hundred odd yards away.
Forum post attachment
K.A .The Robin 29 April 2010 14:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Another photo...
Forum post attachment
Sigs 29 April 2010 23:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Hi you odds and bitters . My god 74 come on back syd . Right I am away for 16 days only fishing and playing golf ,it is a hard life .But I wish you well.And will be in touch soon .regards george woolley. But a pic for now .
Forum post attachment
Sigs 29 April 2010 23:49
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bit 74

well ok then one more
Forum post attachment
Sigs 29 April 2010 23:51
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

It is well past my bedtime but well Last edited by george woolley
Forum post attachment
Sigs 29 April 2010 23:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Now this is the last for 15 days, Take care and keep well . george woolley .
Forum post attachment
Vicky 30 April 2010 09:01
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

George have a good break and I hope you catch lots of fish. Once my visitors have gone home later today I will sort through the photos that Ian has taken this week and post some on here, we have had a really busy but very enjoyable week which incuded a trip to Exbury Gardens. It was a bit early to visit but good anyway, the best time will be next month when it will be a riot of colour.
Vicky 30 April 2010 19:12
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

It looks like we now have a Hedgehog in residence as you can see from the following 2 photos.
Forum post attachment
Vicky 30 April 2010 19:13
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Second one.
Forum post attachment
K.A .The Robin 1 May 2010 14:28
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Good day to all on O and B and hope you have a good weekend. Vicky we have a hedgehog around but I have not managed to get a photo but he visits most nights. A photo I took the other day on our picnic............
Forum post attachment
K.A .The Robin 1 May 2010 14:30
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
And one sitting on the nest.......
Forum post attachment
K.A .The Robin 1 May 2010 14:31
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
And another bird sitting on its nest.......
Forum post attachment
Vicky 1 May 2010 14:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Keith Baron And one sitting on the nest....... What a lovely photo Keith.
Forum post attachment
Peter Caddy 2 May 2010 15:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hi gang nice day ..or start of a nice day as it is 07;30 here . When I got up at 7 the birdfeder was under siege with so many birds .As you know how well they stand in line to take their turn .. yeh like big ones first .In the order of size 3 Red Wing blackbird 5Grosbeak about 12White crown Sparrow 2 Gunco about 5 Chickadee and5 or 6 siskins .Oh then there was the Beaver that I will send to Graham working on a new dam .I dont want the beaver or the dam dam Peter C
Graham Removed 3 May 2010 09:05
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
hi all, thank you Peter i will have him. Vicky I like the Hedgehog, patch looks a bit mystified. We had one once in the U k, it was in late October, and he was very tiny, so we took him in the house and kept him until the next spring, he was fascinating, lived in a cardboard box in the bathroom. We even took him away with us when we had a break at one of the English Country Cottages, and nearly lost him behind the boiler there. When we released him in the spring he never came back, but was about 4 times his original weight . Garden is slowly starting to grow, The Deer have eaten the Daff. tops again , and now we have crocuses out no doubt they will have those for a midnight feast.Greenhouse is up and has seeds in it now, built a new wood store that will take a lot of wood. Yesterday we had our group of 166 for lunch, seemed to go well, everything seems to be manic for about 40 mins , but they all ate well and seemed pleased. We have another on the 16th and again two weeks later. The students turned out to help, 15 to 18 year olds, and with the exception of one are 6 foot and above . So nice to see these beautiful Norwegian girls again, oh to be 18 again , (dream on ) Some pictures to follow of a Man that is traveling the length of Norway on a very old two wheeled tractor towing a shed behind to sleep and cook in, he is going over the mountains with it and averaging about 3 miles an hour.
Graham Removed 3 May 2010 09:08
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Jean chatting to him on our way to work, he came and had coffee and waffles
Forum post attachment
Graham Removed 3 May 2010 09:10
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
His coffee stop
Forum post attachment
Graham Removed 3 May 2010 09:12
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Peter you could do this across canada !!
Forum post attachment
K.A .The Robin 3 May 2010 12:07
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Good day to all on O and B on a very rainy day. Graham - that motorised shed is very handy, just the thing if you have had a row with your wife and want to get away!
Forum post attachment
Vicky 3 May 2010 14:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Graham at 3 miles an hour how long is his journey going to take?? I like the new photo when was it taken??? Keith it is dry here but so cold, we will have to have the heating on tonight.
Peter Caddy 3 May 2010 14:37
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Graham Armishaw     Peter  you could do this  across canada !! . Hey are you trying to get rid of me . Hummmmm Ill send you a beaver with false teeth. Peter C
Forum post attachment
Geordie 3 May 2010 15:41
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Did I or Didnt I

Post a photo of Wendy lol....our new rescue dog? Oh well, Ill post another anyway cos shes dead cute. We went for her first walk along the beach this morning, it was a beautiful day up here so I dont know whats up with you lot! Mind there was a rather chilly wind. Wendy (and hub and I) really enjoyed the walk but when we got home, I think wendy must have forgotten her age or something because she leapt out of the car boot before I could stop her (my fault of course!) and is now limping, so no more walks for her today! We did not pick the name wendy, weve only had her for about two weeks but shes as good as gold after our awful ordeal with Jake the rake.
Forum post attachment
The Huntress 3 May 2010 16:13
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Keith Baron Good day to all on O and B and hope you have a good weekend. Vicky we have a hedgehog around but I have not managed to get a photo but he visits most nights. A photo I took the other day on our picnic............ Aaah Keith, your best yet! Thankyou.
Forum post attachment
The Huntress 3 May 2010 16:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Keith Baron And one sitting on the nest....... Absolutely beautiful and a brilliant pic, Keith. You are my hero of my collection of swans.
Forum post attachment
The Huntress 3 May 2010 16:20
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hi Vicky love, Patch is smart enough not to try and lick hedgehoggy, I am sure. I dont know what Bandit would do with one.
The Huntress 3 May 2010 16:22
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Jean Law-Millie Post a photo of 'Wendy' lol....our new rescue dog? Oh well, I'll post another anyway cos she's dead cute. We went for her first walk along the beach this morning, it was a beautiful day up here so I don't know what's up with you lot! Mind there was a rather chilly wind. Wendy (and hub and I) really enjoyed the walk but when we got home, I think wendy must have forgotten her age or something because she leapt out of the car boot before I could stop her (my fault of course!) and is now limping, so no more walks for her today! We did not pick the name wendy, we've only had her for about two weeks but she's as good as gold after our awful ordeal with Jake the rake. Wendy looks lovely Jean but what happened to jake the rake, i thought he was a bit of handful when you first got him. I hope he has found a new home.
Forum post attachment
Geordie 3 May 2010 17:12
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Patricia Davies Wendy looks lovely Jean   but what happened to jake the rake, i thought he was a bit of handful when you first got him. I hope he has found a new home. Jake had to be returned as we couldnt cope with him! Beagles for more than 25 years and this one had us beat...very sad! I blame the previous owner but at least hopefully, some good will come out of this. I see hes readvertised now with problems! He needs an older owner (like us!!) but with a large garden so he can play and potter about. He cant go for walks, hes very insecure and gets anxious. He doesnt like other dogs and seems afraid of men! He also weed his bed every night so the poor little mite, dear knows what had happened to him in the past. The welfare people did say I told them more about him than the original owner when he was left, but sadly this wont help Jake. He will be hard to rehome Im sure, they have had one chap (male beagle!) in kennels for over a year. The longer, the harder to rehome....honestly sometimes ..... people...... Now wendy can hardly walk after jumping out of our car. Will have to be the vet tomorrow....tut.....
The Huntress 3 May 2010 17:21
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Jean Law-Millie Jake had to be returned as we couldn't cope with him! Beagles for more than 25 years and this one had us beat...very sad! I blame the previous owner but at least hopefully, some good will come out of this. I see he's readvertised now 'with problems'! He needs an older owner (like us!!) but with a large garden so he can play and potter about. He can't go for walks, he's very insecure and get's anxious. He doesn't like other dogs and seems afraid of men! He also wee'd his bed every night so the poor little mite, dear knows what had happened to him in the past. The welfare people did say I told them more about him than the original owner when he was left, but sadly this won't help Jake. He will be hard to rehome I'm sure, they have had one chap (male beagle!) in kennels for over a year. The longer, the harder to rehome....honestly sometimes ..... people...... Now wendy can hardly walk after jumping out of our car. Will have to be the vet tomorrow....tut..... Aaawww, poor Jake Sounds like the poor old fella had a terrible life growing up. You are right about some people, shouldnt be allowed to have pets, there ought to be more checking on owners when they get the pups. Not after the damage is done. If I didnt have Bandit, I would tempted to come and get him, but as he is not comfortable with other dogs, that would be difficult. I hope the Rescue kennel can offer him some treatment and gentle social contact with gentle dogs. Good luck with Wendy and you could get a doggie car seat / harness, so she cant jump /fall out of the car again. At least you tried with Jake, love.
Vicky 3 May 2010 19:16
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Jean we sponsor a dog at the Dogs Trust that cant be rehomed for one reason or another. Wendy looks a great dog and I hope you have her for a long time and enjoy your walks. Patricia, Patch was just being nosy but I dont think he would go much nearer than he was.
The Huntress 3 May 2010 19:28
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: vicky codling nee bassett Jean we sponsor a dog at the Dogs Trust that cant be rehomed for one reason or another. Wendy looks a great dog and I hope you have her for a long time and enjoy your walks. Patricia,  Patch was just being nosy but I dont think he would go much nearer than he was. Didnt think so, Vicky, he is one smart doggie.
Graham Removed 3 May 2010 21:17
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: vicky codling nee bassett Graham at 3 miles an hour how long is his journey going to take?? I like the new photo when was it taken??? Keith it is dry here but so cold, we will have to have the heating on tonight. Vicky, i would think about 1946/7  so long ago . I think he said it will be mid october when he gets there Last edited by Graham Armishaw
Vicky 3 May 2010 21:27
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Here is a photo that Ian took this morning of the finches feeding.
Forum post attachment
K.A .The Robin 4 May 2010 19:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Patricia Davies Aaah Keith, your best yet! Thankyou. Glad you liked it Patricia, here is another of the same two..........
Forum post attachment
Vicky 4 May 2010 19:20
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Patricia here are two more especially for you.
Forum post attachment
Vicky 5 May 2010 09:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

I had a good day in the garden yesterday despit it being so cold. I had some trailing Geraniums that needed putting in my tubs, I got those in and I potted up one lot of Begonias ready to put out later. This year I am using some water retaining mats in the tubs to help keep the tubs moist and to save on water as we are on a meter. We do have rain tubs (4) but still run out if its a dry summer. These mats come in pack of four and cost about £4.00 but I read at the weekend you can use babies disposable nappies for the same purpose so will give it a go as they will be cheaper. I have 14 more Begonias to pot up and quite a few Geraniums so will not have to buy many plants this year.
K.A .The Robin 6 May 2010 11:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hello to all on O and B. On a walk yesterday we heard a squeaking noise high up in the trees which was a baby owl .I took a couple of photos but it was so high that even on zoom the photos were not great. The nest must be around there so next walk we will keep an eye out to see if we can see the mum.
Forum post attachment
K.A .The Robin 6 May 2010 11:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Next....
Forum post attachment
K.A .The Robin 6 May 2010 11:44
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
And this Robin was watching us.....
Forum post attachment
Vicky 6 May 2010 19:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

As we have quite a few Bluebells out in the garden I got Ian to take some photos for you but the first photo is of Patch and one of our local ponies.Keith the owl photos are lovely, a big ball of fluff. Last edited by vicky codling nee bassett
Forum post attachment
Vicky 6 May 2010 19:37
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Now for the Bluebells
Forum post attachment
Vicky 6 May 2010 19:39
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Next one
Forum post attachment
Vicky 6 May 2010 19:40
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Last one
Forum post attachment
Graham Removed 6 May 2010 21:57
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: vicky codling nee bassett As we have quite a few Bluebells out in the garden I got Ian to take some photos for you but the first photo is of Patch and one of our local ponies.Keith the owl photos are lovely, a big ball of fluff. Last edited by vicky codling nee bassett Patch not quite sure what to make of it
Forum post attachment
Graham Removed 6 May 2010 21:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: vicky codling nee bassett I had a good day in the garden yesterday despit it being so cold. I had some trailing Geraniums that needed putting in my tubs, I got those in and I potted up one lot of Begonias ready to put out later. This year I am using some water retaining mats in the tubs to help keep the tubs moist and to save on water as we are on a meter. We do have rain tubs (4) but still run out if its a dry summer. These mats come in pack of four and cost about £4.00 but I read at the weekend you can use babies disposable nappies for the same purpose so will give it a go as they will be cheaper. I have 14 more Begonias to pot up and quite a few Geraniums so will not have to buy many plants this year. Vicky have you got some left over Nappies ?
Vicky 7 May 2010 10:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Graham Armishaw Vicky have you got some left over Nappies ? Yes do you want some?????? I will try anything to save water as we are on a meter and every time I turn the tap on I see £ signs. Mind you it is cheaper for us 2 to be on a meter than to pay water rates, we save about £25.00 a month.
Geordie 7 May 2010 15:40
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: vicky codling nee bassett Jean we sponsor a dog at the Dogs Trust that cant be rehomed for one reason or another. Wendy looks a great dog and I hope you have her for a long time and enjoy your walks. Patricia,  Patch was just being nosy but I dont think he would go much nearer than he was. Thanks for that Vicky (I wish I didnt get lost on these threads...shh dont tell anyone some think Im daft enough ). I also sponsor or support Beagle Welfare because I doubt well have another now. Mind, Ive said that before! Wendy is becoming quite a celeb now in our little town. After the kerfuffle we had with Jake and everyone knew it....Wendy is becoming very well known as she waddles along bless her. Shes so cute and funny....getting quite used to the name Wendy too now. You are very fortunate where you live Vicky as I know you are aware! We used to live near there, and there are some lovely walks. I enjoy the photos posted some lovely ones....great stuff!
Vicky 7 May 2010 19:41
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Jean we took over the sponsorship of the dog after my Mum in law died as up until then she was sponsoring it. Another couple of photos for you, firstly Patch with a couple of doggy friends he met today, he was keeping guard on their ball and Ian had to get it away from him before he wrecked it.
Forum post attachment
Vicky 7 May 2010 19:42
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
odds and bits 74

Now for a magpie that visits the bird table.
Forum post attachment