{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Scottish Regiments.

Scottish Regiments.

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Roly01 24 November 2008 08:53 5422 views Link  
Roly01 24 November 2008 08:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Scottish Regiments.

Can Murray assist please or any other expert on Scottish Regiments. I have just discovered a framed set of Scottish regimental badges in our RSL. (Photo attached) I would love confirmation as to who they are representing and that all these regiments are no longer in existance. The one of the antlers of two stags, which I am told is the Blackwatch} has a motto which reads "By Dand" - What is the translation of this. Interesting collection Thank you.
Forum post attachment
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Murray Whyte 24 November 2008 09:05
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Arthur Rowsell Can Murray assist please or any other expert on Scottish Regiments. I have just discovered a framed set of Scottish regimental badges in our RSL. (Photo attached) I would love confirmation as to who they are representing and that all these regiments are no longer in existance. The one of the antlers of two stags, which I am told is the Blackwatch} has a motto which reads "By Dand" - What is the translation of this. Interesting collection Thank you. Hi Roly, I have downloaded the image and will put names to them today. Dont quote me on this but I think By Dand means Watchful. This was The Gordon Highlanders.
Forum post attachment
Murray Whyte 24 November 2008 10:28
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Cap Badges

Hi Roly, This is what I have so far. The image was lacking in detail so hopefully I have them correct. You will be able to Google them now to confirm. 1. The Black Watch - Officers Cap Badge and Red Hackle. On 28 March 2006, became The Black Watch 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (RRS) 2. The Royal Scots - On 1st August 2006 the Royal Scots and Kings Own Scottish Borderers were amalgamated into the Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion RRS 3. Kings Own Scottish Borderers - As number 2 4. Seaforth Highlanders - The Seaforth Highlanders were combined with the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders to form the Queens Own Highlanders in 1961 - See Numbers 5 5. Gordon Highlanders - Due to the Options for Change defence review, however, Queens Own Highlanders was further amalgamated with 1st Battalion, Gordon Highlanders on 17 September 1994 to form the 1st Battalion The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) - On 28 March 2006 they became The Highlanders, 4th Battalion RRS 6. Highland Light Infantry - The Highland Light Infantry was a regiment of the British Army from 1881 to 1959. In 1923 the regimental title was expanded to the Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) - In 1959 they were amalgamated with the Royal Scots Fusiliers to become The Royal Highland Fusiliers (RHF). On 28 March 2006 the RHF became the 2nd Battalion RRS 7. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders - On 28 March 2006, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion the RRS. 8. Queens Own Cameron Highlanders - See number 4 9. Royal Scots Fusiliers - See number 6 10. The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Disbanded 1967 after Aden
Forum post attachment
John (Scouse) Hirons 24 November 2008 10:50
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Alright Arthur, Digging though my dusty books I have come up with these suggestions; Top row Cant find a match 2nd row (L - R) The Royal Scots (The Royal Reg) Motto Nemo me impune lacessit Latin (Nobody touches me with impunity) the Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albanys) Motto Cuidich n Righ (Aid the King) Black Watch Motto Nemo Me Impune (No man touches me with impunity) 3rd row The Gordon Highlanders Motto Bydand (Steadfast) Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) badge motto Assaye The Kings Own Scottish Borderers motto In Veritate Religionis Confido (I put my trust in the truth of religion) Nisi Dominus Frustra (Without the Lord, everything is in vain) 4th row The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders Motto Pro Rege et Patria (For King and country) The Royal Scots Fusiliers The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Motto Nemo Me Impune Lacessit Up to now I cant find the 1st badge, but I will keep looking. If you want anymore on these regiments let me know.
Lori 25 November 2008 13:57
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hi Murray, Scouse Re these badges - can you help me with the one in the pic of my Grandad? The attachment might not be too clear but I know (from mum) that he served in RSF in WW11 and then moved to Camerons and finally Gordons, but the badge in the photo doesnt seem to match any of the ones in Arthurs attachment - so not sure which of the 3 regiments he served in is depicted by his badge
Forum post attachment
Murray Whyte 25 November 2008 14:00
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Lorraine Weights Hi Murray, Scouse Re these badges - can you help me with the one in the pic of my Grandad? The attachment might not be too clear but I know (from mum) that he served in RSF in WW11 and then moved to Camerons and finally Gordons, but the badge in the photo doesn't seem to match any of the ones in Arthurs attachment  - so not sure which of the 3 regiments he served in is depicted by his badge Hi Lorraine, At first glance at the collar dogs he appears to be a Fusilier. I shall get back to you. Murray
Forum post attachment
Murray Whyte 25 November 2008 14:13
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Lorraine, The nearest match I can get for the badge is the 1st Administrative Battalion Elginshire Rifles. Have a look at the attachment and compare with your original photo.
Forum post attachment
Lori 25 November 2008 14:16
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Thanks Murray - that looks pretty much the same as the one in the photo - must ask mum
Murray Whyte 25 November 2008 16:14
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: Lorraine Weights Thanks Murray - that looks pretty much the same as the one in the photo - must ask mum Try and get a look at his discharge book/papers.
John (Scouse) Hirons 25 November 2008 22:47
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John (scouse) Hirons Alright Arthur, Digging though my dusty books I have come up with these suggestions; Top row Can't find a match 2nd row (L - R) The Royal Scots (The Royal Reg) Motto Nemo me impune lacessit Latin (Nobody touches me with impunity) the Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) Motto Cuidich 'n Righ (Aid the King) Black Watch  Motto Nemo Me Impune (No man touches me with impunity) 3rd row The Gordon Highlanders Motto Bydand (Steadfast) Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) badge motto Assaye The King's Own Scottish Borderers  motto In Veritate Religionis Confido (I put my trust in the truth of religion) Nisi Dominus Frustra (Without the Lord, everything is in vain) 4th row The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders Motto Pro Rege et Patria (For King and country) The Royal Scots Fusiliers The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Motto Nemo Me Impune Lacessit Up to now I can't find the 1st badge, but I will keep looking. If you want anymore on these regiments let me know. I think Ive got the the one on top could it be. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Motto Ne Obliviscaris (Do Not Forget) Sans Peur (Without Fear)
Murray Whyte 26 November 2008 03:31
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Quoting: John (scouse) Hirons I think I've got the the one on top could it be. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders  Motto  Ne Obliviscaris (Do Not Forget)  Sans Peur (Without Fear) How about the famous Red Hackle of the Black Watch. See my reply to Arthur where I numbered his photo.