{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers 1946-1948 Bleiberg,Carin

1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers 1946-1948 Bleiberg,Carin

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Cyril Hinde 18 March 2008 19:45 1117 views Link  
Cyril Hinde 18 March 2008 19:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers 1946-1948 Bleiberg,Carin

Hello-I am posting this for my father Cyril Hinde,a new member who served with the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers as part of the Austrian Occupation at Bleiberg. From 1946-1948 He became a Lance Corporal and his duties included responsibility for manning and guarding a petrol dump at the Bleiberg Border Post. Cyril then was posted in 1948 to 38th Infantry Brigade REME Workshops at Carinthia. Cyril would like to find out if there are any old army RIF friends still around from that time in Bleiberg. Cyril who is now 80 years old and lives in Manchester. Anybody with recollections/photographs would be most welcome. Kind Regards
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Little Mo 18 March 2008 20:10
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Welcome

Hi Cyril, welcome to FR. I wish you well in your quest to find old friends. Best wishes, Maureen.
Cyril Hinde 18 March 2008 20:14
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers 1946-1948 Bleiberg Austr

Thank you Maureen. Very little info seems to exist on the web for the Austrian Occupation. I hope that there are still veterans from this time in Carinthia. Kind regards
Doc 19 March 2008 17:24
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
hello cyril and welcome to f/r - if anyone can help you in your search it is te ladies and gents on this site - silly question - have you put royal irish fusiliers occupation of austria ww 2 in your search box - i am sure you have - just a thought - i myself joined the royal inniskilling fusiliers in 1959 a long time fter your dad - ihope this is of help - all the best in your search - take care - colum
Brendan Kerr 30 September 2008 09:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hello Cyril, My father Christopher Christy Kerr may have been in your neck of the woods post war, he told me he was in Klagenfurt. I have photos of him in Austria, he told me he was gaurding VIP POWs. Obviously, memory fades over the years and I may only have half of the tale. But would love to hear from you if you can shed any light on his time there. Brendan Kerr Faugh-a-ballagh