{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / Did anyone see

Did anyone see

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Forces Reunited Member 14 November 2004 16:16 2042 views Link  
(Unknown Name) 14 November 2004 16:16
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Did anyone see

Last night I was watching the Festival of Rememberence as I do every year,a programme I never miss before attending my local parade on the Sunday.......Well i was fine until they introduced two WW1 veterans,the baby being 104 and the eldest 108.Well I just lost it,yes Im 60 this year and had tears in my eyes,I was ok until they insisted on walking on. And someone wants to reduce the two minutes silence.......well over my dead body. Gentleman,I salute you.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Old Sweat (Puddle Jumper) 14 November 2004 16:37
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I saw

Add My salute as well Peter,Im rapidly approaching my 65th and cant help admiring the feats of who did what before me.I have just returned from a rememberance day parade with the CRA )Cheshire Regiment)and was kept enthralled by some of the lads stories from WW2.The proposition to reduce the two minutes to one was probably from some one who never knew any type of conflict.They would have to step over my dead body as well.
(Unknown Name) 14 November 2004 16:59
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Yeah I have just returned from the KCR Sgts Mess (Kings & Cheshires)and there were a few there with a tail to tell......phew,say that when you have had a few. Was going to attend the KRAK (Kings)celebrations in Kirkby,but a bit to far to drive after a few sherberts.
What Do You Mean Remote 14 November 2004 20:09
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
So will I

Pete and Gordon The Festival of Remembrance was actually broadcast starting at 12 midday today, Sunday on BBC Prime here in Saudi Arabia, it was timed to finish and the Ceremony at the Cenotaph was then carried live.  Unfortunately I had to work, however I was able to set my video recorder and will be watching both events tomorrow (Monday).  There is another thread about the supposed changes to the two minute silence and I have made my views perfectly clear there.  I honestly and sincerely believe that as long as The Royal British Legion continues to exist there will be tens, if not hopefully hundreds of thousands of voices raised in protest at any attempt to reduce the silence to one minute.  If you are members of TRBL then the next time you attend the Legion Club, or whatever place they hold their meeting search out a member of the committee and ask that this matter be raised at the next monthly meeting.  I am a mere youngster being only 54 years of age but I too will join the barricades (if and when work and travel will allow).  In the meantime be assured you have my complete and utter support. Last edited by David Campbell
Maywalk 15 November 2004 19:35
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I saw it too

Yes I did see the wonderful ceremony and I felt SO proud of them all. I must say that this years ceremony topped the lot because to have 10,000 people marching past was phenomenal. Especially the older ones after standing for so long, they were absolutely fantastic. I was bursting with pride to see them marching upright and looking SO dignified. In case you are wondering who I am. I am a 74 year old evacuee from the London Blitz in WW2. I intended doing something to honour the veterans of all nations who fought in WW2 and I put a website up for them in February to commemorate the 60th D-Day anniversary. This contains stories and poems sent to me from all over the world by veterans that I got to know since having my computer. It was spotted by Saga and my local radio and I was on both programmes on D-Day and Remembrance Day. The site has been visited well over 5,500 times and there are well over 100 messages in the guest book. I am not allowed to put the site on this website but if you just type in ( warvetsweb ) all one word in Google it will come up for any one to read the wonderful stories and poems. Many that have not been published before. Its called "THEIRS IS THE GLORY" God Bless All from Maisie.
Old Sweat (Puddle Jumper) 15 November 2004 21:23
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Maise

I shall read your site with pleasure,is there a facility to add a poem of my own?i was so moved by the film scenes of blinded soldiers leading each other I put pen to paper to express my feelings.Regards Smudger
(Unknown Name) 15 November 2004 22:43
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
And did you notice the man of the moment.General Sir Peter De La Billiare the most decorated man in the British Army assisted them without his medals so not to take any limelight from them. Well done Boss
Maywalk 15 November 2004 22:48
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Remembrance

If you would like a poem putting on my site Gordon my e-mail address is on it. Just send it to me and I will get it put up for you. God Bless from Maisie.
Bill Hammond 15 November 2004 23:13
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
2 Minutes silence

Yesterday, for the first time, I attended the Service of Rememberance at the Cenotaph in London. The Gun that sounded the start of the 2 minutes silence set off a car alarm, but once that ceased there was complete and utter silence, not a baby cried nor a cough heard. Just servicemen and women, veterans and ordinary people, of all colours creeds and religions, standing quietly together in their thousands, remembering all those who have paid the ultimate price, so that today, we can live our lives as we wish to live them. During my military service and since, I have stood and remembered through many a 2 minutes silence, but yesterdays was an incredibly moving experience that I shall never forget. I to hope, that if even one second of the 2 minutes silence is taken away, that tens or even hundreds of thousands of voices will be raised in protest and mine will be among the loudest. Lest We Forget
(Unknown Name) 16 November 2004 00:50
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I intend to do the exact same thing next year Bill and for a bonus I hope to obtain tickets for the Festival Of Rememberence at the Royal Albert Hall.I know there like gold dust,but hoping my contact comes up trumps.
Wildthing 17 November 2004 16:06
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Two minutes silence

I supose the people that want to take 1 minute away; must lead very busy lives and carnt afford all that time for fallen heros. They should think themselves lucky they have lives to be busy in , the fallen heros gave theirs up, so we all could have lives that we could enjoy, in freedom. Touch the two minutes at your peril; a lot of ex service men and women can make a lot of noise.
Smudge 17 November 2004 16:12
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Did anyone see.

Well said all !!.
Old Sweat (Puddle Jumper) 18 November 2004 10:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
did you see?

Peter,If all my plans come to fruition (and I dont see why not)then you will be joined by four people from this web-site.Ah sorry better make it five before some-one jumps down my throat.
What Do You Mean Remote 18 November 2004 17:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Cos I was there

Pete I was lucky enough to be able to attend the Garden of Remembrance Service in the year 2001, when I was lucky enough to shake the hand of Her Majesty, The Queen Mother. The following Saturday I was attending the Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall (the first time in my life) and I was totally swept away with the waves of emotion engendered by all the events. In 2002 I was able to attend the Garden of Remembrance Service again, another Festival at The Royal Albert Hall, and then the ultimate, to take part in the March Past the Cenotaph on the Sunday. If you are able to do any of these things I feel safe in assuring you that if the ceremony on televison can affect you, the real thing will be thousands of times more. David
Maywalk 19 November 2004 09:45
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Did you see?

Many thanks Peter for your message in my guest book. I am glad that you thought my site was worth a visit. I must tell you that there has been two reunions through the War Vets site. One with mother and son and one with two chaps from different countries again after many years. God Bless from Maisie.
(Unknown Name) 19 November 2004 11:09
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I feel safe in assuring you that if the ceremony on televison can affect you, the real thing will be thousands of times more. I can well imagine David,I am looking forward to the same experiences. And Maisie,thanks for those words.