{{page.notificationBar.message}}
The Voice of the Military Community
Home / Forum / XM 600

XM 600

{{forumThread.upVotes}} Created by Mavrick 26 September 2006 23:15 6318 views Link  
Mavrick 26 September 2006 23:15
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
XM 600

Any of you ex Waddo types remember the 101 sqn Vulcan XM600 crashing at Spilsby in Lincolnshire, 1977. I am glad to say that all the crew got out,but there were a lot of stories going around that one of the rear crew got "hung up" on his "elephant trunk" and had to be helped by the other two rear crewmen,also that one of the crew just missed some power cables on his way down,how true these stories are i dont know but one thing i do remember is all the safety equipment docs being gatherd up and taken away for inspection, all o.k glad to say. Also the farmer whos field the aircraft crashed into got quite a "good payout",i wonder if he ever found one of the engines,oh and lots of time spent walking through muddy fields looking for bits of Vulcan can some times be fun,but only if you are a bit crazy,but then if you cant take a joke you should not have joined.
{{forumPost.upVotes}} Reply With QuoteEditLink   Report [Reported] Delete
Taff 27 September 2006 19:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
XM600

I was at RAF Scampton attached to 35 SQN in 1977 I barely remember the incident but reading your thread and details its lucky that this vulcan did not come down on any centres of population with lincolnshire having a lot of airbases around at that time and a lot of aircraft in the sky all at once its a wonder there was no major incidents around then
Mavrick 7 October 2006 20:48
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
XM600

Quoting: Terry jones I was at RAF Scampton attached to 35 SQN in 1977 I barely remember the incident but reading your thread and details it's lucky that this vulcan did not come down on any centre's of population with lincolnshire having a lot of airbases around at that time and a lot of aircraft in the sky all at once it's a wonder there was no major incidents around then Hi Terry,Lincolnshire has been known as the airforce county for a long time,and you are right when you say that its a wonder that no major incidents happend,but do you think that a lot of it is due to the very high standard of skill and selfless courage shown by so many forces personnel to keep the public safe. Anyway glad i was able to fill in some info for you,and maybe some other folk out there also.
Handle Oval Balls With Care. 8 October 2006 12:53
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
The Vulcan incident was after my time in the RAF,but I was at Marham in September 59,when we lost a Valiant from takeoff,coming down just short of Swaffam.I was one of the Fire Crew that attended the crash,and because the aircraft was fully loaden with fuel,it was quite an experience,with bits of the Valiant sprewed over a large area. Alas,all 5 crew lost their lives.
Mac Mcwilliam 9 October 2006 13:34
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Victor

Mike I was at Marham when we lost a K1 tanker on take off. Thankfully the Captain was able to abbort the take whilst still on the run way and all the crew escaped.
Glynn Removed 3 August 2010 21:56
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
XM600 - RAT

Every now and then the aircrew used to practice deploying the RAT(Ram Air Turbine).....a procedure used in case of alternator failure. Apparently the RAT overvolted and caused arcing/sparking which ignited a fuel pipe near the RAT wiring. The Vulcans were grounded ubtil all the RAT voltage regulators had been back to the Electrical Bay for modification to stop the overvolting situation. In those days those was done very quickly.
Robbie 1 January 2012 10:54
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
A long time ago .....

I know it was a long ago but as a fresh faced J/T I was slightly involved after the crash of XM600. I happened to be coordinating documents (700M) when a BIG Chief Tech grabbed the documents I was holding pushed everyone out the door and locked it. Later after I had found out about the crash I was told I was on crash guard. The field was just mud and at one point a JCB driver had to be rescued by a fellow driver as his digger sank in the mess. During the evening the guard commander allowed off duty guards to go down the local pub for a quick pint, but I never got mine. Just as we were setting off for the pub the ecm equipment was uncovered all guards recalled. Another one the airforce owes me.
Roy Sloan 1 January 2012 13:06
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
Hi Mac, I was at Marham also when the Victor tanker went on fire sitting at the Swaffam end of the runway waiting to roll. I have never seen anything like it before or after. They were putting foam on it from all directions and it just slowly sank to the ground. A few minutes later and it would have been a major disaster. I heard that the cause of the incident was a broken blade which had pierced the leading edge of the wing and started the fire. Regards. Roy Sloan
Len Hewitt 25 September 2012 16:07
[pending deletion]
Originally Posted by
I was in the Vulcan Flight Sim at the time. The AEO became one of the Simulator Instructors after that incident...